Subject: Re: Zone cut

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jan 2005 17:47:23 -0000

>Well, zone cuts are manifestations of administrative boundaries
>within the data model of DNS.

Sometimes.  Sometimes they are merely an implementation detail.  For
example, there is a zone cut at korea.services.net even though all
of services.net belongs to me and is hosted on my servers.  The
services.net zone is served through tinydns, while korea.services.net
is served through rbldbsd because it's a DNSBL.

Similarly, there's a zone cut at contacts.abuse.net because that zone
has a specialized server that synthesizes responses based on info from
the abuse.net database.  

You really can't assume anything about a zone cut except that it's a
zone cut.  You can't even assume it's all under a common
administration since there are servers that serve out of databases, so
the rules about who manages what are in the database schema which we
can't see.

I agree that for some purposes it would be nice to draw a line around
chunks of the DNS and say "this is all the same FOO" for some FOO, but
zone cuts aren't the right lines to use.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
http://www.taugh.com

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>