Subject: draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-opt-in

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:50:00 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

As we all know the OPT-IN draft was not approved for a standard track
document. Randy and Olafur (the chairs at that time) determined that
there was consensus that the proposal itself was technically solid
that there was no consensus that opt-in should become part of the
standard [1].

However, at the same time it was proposed that the document would
be published as informational with an appropriate boilerplate [2].

In WG meeting that took place after this message the question was
raised if OPT-IN should be published as experimental or informational
[3]. The working group never expressed its preference for either
informational or experimental RFC.

The task of writing a boilerplate was still on my list of things to
do and was slowly finding its way to the top of that list. At the
same time the "opt-in" phoenix raised from is ashes as
draft-blacka-dnssec-opt-in-01.txt.

This new version of "opt-in" is clearly intended to be published as
an experimental RFC and has draft-blacka-dnssec-experiments-00.txt as
normative reference.  Draft-blacka-dnssec-experiments has a wide
applicability and therefore my proposal is to accept
draft-blacka-experiments as a WG document and do careful review of
this methodology to perform experiments.

At the same time draft-blacka-opt-in is published as
draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-opt-in-07.  We want to limit ourselves to
review the proper application of the technique described in
"experiments". We have consensus on the technical solidity of the
"opt-in" proposal. The target of opt-in would _not_ be standards
track (there was no consensus for that) but experimental.
Unless feedback on this mail urges to do us otherwise the intention is 
to publish
the blacka-opt-in document as a new version of
draft-ietf-dnsext-opt-in, publish  draft-blacka-dnssec-experiments as
draft-ietf-dnssec-experiments and do a WGLC as soon as upcomming issues
on both documents have been resolved.

-- Olaf Kolkman     DNSEXT Co-Chair.

 [1] http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01007.html
 [2] http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01301.html
 [3] http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01541.html

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>