Subject: Weird Wildcards Work item (on wildcards vs RR types, was Faux wildcards)

From: Ólafur Gudmundsson/DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:25:16 -0500

There seems to be in some peoples mind  a "need" for mechanism to do a
wild-card "like" thing.

Without having clear requirements and usage examples it is hard to judge what
is wanted by the different people that have posted on the "Faux wildcards" and
"wildcards vs RR types" topic.  On the other hand we think that, given that we
have been going in circles, continuing on list will not lead us anywhere.

The chairs would like to propose the following path forward.

We assume that there will be a number of stake holders for such a
"Weird Wildcard Workitem"  and we would like them to take some time
to produce the following:

1. Requirement statement
2. Draft rules for proposed mechanism the rules must address at least
    the following questions:
	a. is this both/either a terminal or non terminal

	b. does this match:
		only existing names
		only non-existing names
		both

	c. Is this mechanism terminated by
		existing name
		delegation
	   if the answer is "delegation" then answer sub question
		how does same type at a name affect expansion 	
		
	d. Is this mechanism expanded to one or multiple labels
	
	e. If answer is multiple levels how are multiple expansion statements
	   for the same type handled.

3. Usage example or two.

4. List of active participants

Issues like how this is expressed in zone files and zone transfer do not
have to be included at this point, nor do issues like DNSSEC or
dynamic update interaction.

After this has been drafted we'll verify if this work can be done within
charter of this group and if there are sufficient people available that
actually are willing and able to do the work.

So essentially we are asking a small requirements-design team to form
that will do their work on the 0th version.  In order to bootstrap this
process stakeholders can contact Olafur (ogud at ogud.com) who will subscribe
them to a mailing list. The list will be discontinued and the archives of
the mailing list will be made available once version 0 is available.

We hope that the working group can have an in depth, in scope and
focused discussion on such version 0.

	Olafur and Olaf

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>