Subject: Zone cut

From: Alex Bligh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:50:17 +0000

I had always assumed (fatal error) that although the location of the
zone cut is clearly relevant to implementation of DNS protocol, it
should be transparent to applications using it, i.e. that an
application should be able to rely on the fact that a the domain name
foo.bar.example.com works the same, whether or not there's a zone cut
between labels "foo" and "bar". As such I further assumed that protocols
SHOULD NOT rely on the location of the zone cut.

Thinking about it again, I don't have much basis for the assumption apart
from the fact it seems a good principle of abstraction in a layered
architecture (to encapsulate underlying protocol implementation so
it's invisible to upper layers), and that it might allow future protocol
changes where (for instance) zone cut markedly changed or ceased to
exist as a concept (perhaps some day we might want zone cut==label cut).

Was my assumption right or wrong? Should it be documented?

Alex

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>