Subject: Re: WG Action: RECHARTER: DNS Extensions (dnsext)

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 04:59:44 -0500 (EST)

>          + RFC3??? AXFR clarify to Draft Standard.

I thought AXFR clarify died a horrible and tragic death after a short and
ill-fated attempt to impose unnecessary changes made by Bind on the rest
of the DNS implmentations.

Why is this still on the list?

Possibly AXFR does need to be clarified. I think it was agreed that the
current spec was vague, but Bind groups' proposed solution was universally
rejected (by everyone except those associated with Bind, of course)

I may be willing to write a clarification for AXFR that corrects the
ambiguity in the fashion accepted by all of the non-Bind server
implementations.

		--Dean

-- 
Av8 Internet   Prepared to pay a premium for better service?
www.av8.net         faster, more reliable, better service
617 344 9000   

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:41:37 +0100

> Why is this still on the list?

See the status of this ID in the ID-tracker:
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=5123&rfc_flag=0

To paraphrase: The AD has a number of comments and the working group will need to pick 
this ID up again. 

To be continued.

-- Olaf

---------------------------------| Olaf M. Kolkman
---------------------------------| RIPE NCC

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Feb 2005 01:53:15 -0000

A note to AXFR implementors worried about interoperability: Check out
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/axfr-notes.html for a description of exactly how
the AXFR protocol works.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago