Subject: Key-rollover IPR disclosure

From: Ólafur Gudmundsson/DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:21:03 -0500

Dear Colleagues,

An IPR[*] disclosure has been made. It relates to two drafts in our
working group:
	draft-ietf-dnsext-trustupdate-timers
  	draft-ietf-dnsext-trustupdate-threshold

The  disclosure has been made by "Diversinet.com" and can be found
in the IETF IPR disclosure database:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?&ipr_id=530
and
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?&ipr_id=531

Copies of the patent application can be found on
http://stora.ogud.com/DNSSEC/key-rollover/key-rollover-patent-Application.pdf
a copy of the patent certificate can be found in
http://stora.ogud.com/DNSSEC/key-rollover/key-rollover-patent-certificate.pdf

The licensing terms of this patent are not known yet. The chairs
will inquire about licensing terms in neutral terms and report to the group.

We want to issue is a "rat hole" alert:
Working groups tend to discuss the validity of patent claims, the
licensing terms and such at great lengths. In the end patent issues
are not technical but legal issues. It is up to the implementors of
technology under IPR to deal with these issues, not the working group.
If the IPR prohibits implementation than the WG would like to know,
from implementors. As rough consensus without running code does not make sense.

Or to paraphrase the above: we all have an opinion on IPR, this
is not the list to rehash those.

--Olaf and Olafur
   DNSEXT WG Chairs

We'll try to maintain documentation on our (experimental) DNSEXT twiki: 
http://dnsext.secret-wg.org

[*] IPR == Intellectual PRoperty i.e. patent 

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>