Subject: Re: Rants on auth denial

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:59:52 +0000

> >i don't think we can assume that the people who might deploy epsilon are
> >currently self-aware of that fact, nor currently on this list, nor both.
> 
> I ask rhetorically, who's fault is that?  If the folks on *this list*
> aren't the ones deploying this, why bother discussing it on *this list*?

i thought this list was about the protocol, and that as stewards of the dns
protocol it was our job to make it useful for the entire community including
those who come after us.  let's not just "cash in" and try to turn dns into
something that's just-for-those-in-the-know.

> Perceived problems are to engineers as imaginary gnats flying about a
> insane person's head.  All that flailing about and snatching at thin air.

and yet, had we involved nominet et al earlier on, then we would've known
that zone walking wasn't an acceptable tradeoff to get authenticated denial.
was it nominet's fault for not paying attention to us, or our fault for not
paying attention to them?  trick question!  it doesn't matter whose fault it
was, all that matters is we have a nondeployable protocol.  ouch!  "when in
a hole, the first thing you should do is stop digging."

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:09:48 +0000

> >That's because the draft should (but as far as I can see does not)
> >modify the search algorithm such that NSEC3 records are ignored for
> >all searches other than QTYPE=NSEC3.
> 
> Modifying the search algorithm has caught my attention.  This would be
> very significant.

i missed this when i reviewed NSEC3.  it would be very significant, and
must not be done this way.  if you want a new namespace for dnssec metadata,
ask michael graff or myself about slabs, but don't add new search rules
that are based on rrtypes or any other in-band protocol element.