Subject: Re: Rants on auth denial

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:10:08 +0100

Paul Vixie wrote:

>>...In other words. Anybody on this list: would you deploy an epsilon
>>based solution, with on-line keys, and no protocol change needed on
>>the Internet or do y'all see this as an academic exercise?
>>    
>>
>
>i don't think we can assume that the people who might deploy epsilon are
>currently self-aware of that fact, nor currently on this list, nor both.
>  
>

Let me ask if you, and others on this list, are willing to put resources 
for making epsilon work for those that are not currently self-aware that 
they will be using the mechanism, nor aware of this work being done, nor 
both. Even if we fail to find the people who are self-aware that they 
will deploy epsilon and are on this list. :-)

I think that we are close to something useful that works and its not my 
suggestion to drop this work. It is just that my working assumption was 
that epsilon would be put to use by an identified party and that I would 
like to do a reality check on that assumption.

Personally I'm willing to burn resources on updating the proof of 
concept to a new version of the drafts.

--Olaf

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:10:07 -0500

>currently self-aware of that fact, nor currently on this list, nor both.

I ask rhetorically, who's fault is that?  If the folks on *this list* 
aren't the ones deploying this, why bother discussing it on *this 
list*?

Perceived problems are to engineers as imaginary gnats flying about a 
insane person's head.  All that flailing about and snatching at thin 
air.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

Achieving total enlightenment has taught me that ignorance is bliss.