Subject: Email Authentication - Minimizing the Risk to DNS

From: David MacQuigg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:45:40 -0700

I'm preparing a draft for IETF.  Before submitting it, I would like to get 
some feedback from people familiar with DNS.  I've had some discussion on 
lists with email-authentication experts, but it is hard to get good answers 
on questions like - What are the problems with putting authentication 
records in their own subdomain, like _AUTH.example.com?  How do we set up 
these records so they are no more of a problem than any other services 
supported by DNS.

Abstract
Consolidating email authentication information into one DNS record at a 
standard location can avoid the threat of abuse facing IP-based 
authentication methods.  A simple, general record syntax can provide for 
the use of any authentication method or domain-rating service and 
facilitate changing methods, should that become necessary.

The current draft is at 
http://purl.net/net/macquigg/email/draft-macquigg-authent-dns.htm

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

--
Dave

************************************************************     *
* David MacQuigg, PhD     email: david_macquigg at yahoo.com     *  *
* IC Design Engineer            phone:  USA 520-721-4583      *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                 *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.            Tucson, Arizona 85710          *
************************************************************     *

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>