Subject: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-dnsext-wcard-clarify-07

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:29:17 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

This is the second WGLC for the "Wildcard clarification document"

                       The Role of Wildcards
                    in the Domain Name System
              draft-ietf-dnsext-wcard-clarify-07.txt

Abstract:

    This is an update to the wildcard definition of RFC 1034.  The
    interaction with wildcards and CNAME is changed, an error
    condition removed, and the words defining some concepts central
    to wildcards are changed.  The overall goal is not to change
    wildcards, but to refine the definition of RFC 1034.

The first WGLC of this document was in September 2003 [1] and raised
the issue of wildcard synthesis. That last call concluded [2] with
overall consensus of the working-group is that clarification of
wildcard behavior is necessary and that the document is to proceed on
the standard track.

A number of open issues were identified at that time and while
clarifying these new issues came up.  The main topics were the
handling of NS, SOA, CNAME and DNAME types owned by a "*-labels".

Hereby we start a last call that will end Sunday June 19. 

Please review the document. Please state you reviewed the document
with your objections and support. Send your statement to the
mailing list or to both chairs directly.

Statements that the documents has been thoroughly reviewed by working
group members do help in writing a summary for the IESG and to further
shepherd the document.

If no support or objections have been received the default action will
be to forward this document to the IESG with a request to publish on
the standards track. 

--Olaf & Olafur
  DNSEXT Chairs

[1] http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01558.html
[2] http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg01756.html

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>