Subject: where did all them bits go ?

From: Roy Arends <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:33:44 +0200 (CEST)

I guess 4034 and 4035 are missing information on where exactly the CD and
AD bits reside in the DNS header. Its specified in rfc2535, but omitted in
the current drafts, which obsolete 2535.

I'll send text.

Roy

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:47:31 -0400 (EDT)

(oops -- replies crossing on the wire)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Scott Rose wrote:

> Yeah, I think Sam W mentioned this to me at some point as well.  I remember
> earlier versions of the text had them included, but disappeared in the
> rewrites.  I think because it was in the records draft, and we forgot to
> move it, but I'm not sure.

Scott's memory seems to be better than mine -- looking back though old
mail, I see that on 20 Jan 2004 I did indeed point out that the AD and
CD bits were missing from the omnibus IANA section in -records (4034),
and Scott replied, telling me they were in -protocol (4035).  (You'd
think I would have learned...)

It's still there (in section 6 of 4035), but, as Roy said, doesn't
repeat the exact bit locations -- since 4034 section 7 talks about the
contents of all the registries it mentions, I'll look forward to
getting Roy's bis-updates contribution that adds the same detail for
the header bits.

-- Sam