Subject: Fwd: [Announcing the 2005 SIGCOMM Award Winner: Paul Mockapetris]

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:28:48 +0200

I hope you find this relevant for namedroppers-- Simon.

Subject: Announcing the 2005 SIGCOMM Award Winner: Paul Mockapetris
From: Erich Nahum <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 22:14:00 -0400

PAUL V. MOCKAPETRIS WINS 2005 ACM SIGCOMM AWARD

Paul V. Mockapetris, Chairman and Chief Scientist at Nominum Inc., is the
winner of the 2005 ACM SIGCOMM Award. 

The SIGCOMM Award is widely recognized as the highest honor in computer
networking.  The Award recognizes lifetime achievement in and
contributions to the field.  It is awarded annually to a person whose
work, over the course of his or her career, represents a significant
contribution to the field and a substantial influence on the work and
perceptions of others in the field.

The SIGCOMM Award is presented to Dr. Mockapetris "in recognition of his
foundational work in designing, developing and deploying the Domain Name
System, and his sustained leadership in overall Internet architecture
development."

Paul Mockapetris created the original DNS protocol, wrote its first
implementation, and worked with others to spread the DNS across the
Internet. The design of DNS, which was the first major datagram protocol
of the Internet, established a number of principles for key Internet
infrastructural services.  Its simplicity of design and fitness for
purpose have stood the test of time.  The strength of its design lies in
a novel combination of hierarchy and caching that gives each
organization absolute control over part of the namespace while
simultaneously relying on caching to make the entire system efficient.
Its success can be seen from the fact that DNS now handles many orders
of magnitude more names and traffic than when it was first deployed, and
yet the design and structure have remained intact.  As a result the DNS
design and caching mechanisms are often cited as two of the cornerstones
on which the success of the Internet is built.

In addition to his work on DNS, Dr. Mockapetris's career has included
pioneering work on multiprocessor operating systems, virtual machines,
and ring LAN technology.  Further, Dr. Mockapetris played an important
role in the deployment of networking technologies internationally.
Starting during 1990-1993 as a program manager at ARPA, Dr. Mockapetris
fostered the international deployment of multimedia conferencing,
multicast, and QoS.  His strong leadership in development of Internet
architecture continued as Chair of the Internet Engineering Task Force
during 1994-1996, as member of the Internet Architecture Board during
1994-1996, and then as member of the Federal Networking Council.

Dr. Mockapetris is a recipient of the IEEE Internet Award and is an ACM
Fellow.

In summary, through his sustained effort in support of the Internet
archicture, beginning with DNS and continuing through work at ARPA,
IETF, and industry, Dr. Mockapetris has made far-reaching and
influential contributions to computer networking.  The 2005 SIGCOMM
award recognizes Dr. Mockapetris for this lifetime record of
achievement.