Subject: WG LC results summary: draft-ietf-dnsext-ds-sha256-03.txt

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:58:50 -0800

At the end of the WG last call for draft-ietf-dnsext-ds-sha256-03.txt
I determined the following issues needed to be fixed based on comments
submitted to the WG and have made changes accordingly:

1) draft-eastlake-sha2 should be referenced information-ally.
   action: informational reference added.  Note that the suggestion
   was made by eastlake, I didn't disagree and there were no other
   opinions submitted.

2) The implementation requirements stating that implementations had to
   be configurable with respect to preferring one algorithm over
   another was disagreed over.  At best, it doesn't meet consensus.
   At worst, it's disliked.  Unfortunately two conversations have
   taken place with different results (one before last call, and one
   after) and the upshot is that at least consensus wasn't reached so
   the words have been removed and replaced with a single SHOULD that
   specifies SHA-256 DS records SHOULD be preferred by validates over
   SHA-1 DS records.

3) Security wording was added to the security section to reference
   how downgrade attacks can happen without preference of SHA-256 over
   SHA-1 (it was stated more generically).

4) minor typos and grammatical fixes.

A complete comparison of changes from -02 to -03 can be found at: 

  http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dnsext/draft-ietf-dnsext-ds-sha256/draft-ietf-dnsext-ds-sha256-03-from-02.diff.html

There are no outstanding issues left with the document that have been
brought to my attention (aside from what's mentioned below) and the
document is ready to be given to the ADs for IETF last call.

----------

mail since the WG last call was closed officially was received from
David Blacka preferring the wording "The DS record with the SHA-256
digest fails to match the digest computed using the child zone's
DNSKEY." over "The DS record with the SHA-256 digest fails to match
the signature computed using the child zone's DNSKEY".  Technically
this is beyond last call, but I've changed it in my local copy since
we have IETF last call to go through anyway.  I'd be happy to a)
publish a -04 if the chairs wish;  b) remove it until it's re-brought
up in ietf last call;  c) leave it in my local copy.  I'll do c by
default unless told otherwise by the chairs.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>