Subject: Publication Request: LLMNR-45 to Informational

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:52:20 -0500

Dear Margaret and Mark,

This is in response to your request to have the DNSEXT working group
fix the problems that were brought up during the IETF Last Call and in IESG
review[1].

We asked the working group a set of detailed questions [2].

We have to report that there was some discussion on the list but
there was not sufficient quorum[3] during our working group last call to
determine consensus on the last version of the document. This means
that we as a working group can not provide satisfactory answers to
these questions.

However, we, chairs, think this document has gone to a large number
of cycles where it has received reviews been commented upon and
addressed number of issues that have broader significance.  The WG thinks
that this document should not be lost. We, chairs, suggest it is to
be published as working group produced informational document.

The DNSEXT work group has discussed the "API" question a bit.
There has not yet been sufficient discussion to tell if there
is agreement on adding such a work item to the working group.
We the chairs think there should be a requirements document and/or
comprehensive straw-man proposal on the table, what needs to be
captured are the architectural requirements with respect to the
name space and security status of resolved names.

We think such a working item is useful both in the LLMNR and MDNS
context as well as for secure resolution, but we also need sufficient
number of people to show interest before the work is added to
the charter.

This has been a difficult call. And our question to one of the PROTO
questions would be: "Yes there might be an appeal".

--Olafur and Olaf.

[1] 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=6193&rfc_flag=0

[2] http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg00028.html

[3] http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg00145.html

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>