Subject: usage of Server Failure Response code

From: "Hyo-Jeong Shin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:08:47 +0900

I'm analyzing DNS packets for my company's DNS servers.

According to RFC 1035, the meaning of Server failure is "The name server was
unable to process this query due to a problem with the name server".

On real network, Server Failure RCODE is generated in case of "unsuccessful
lookup" such as timeout due to a lack of response from overloaded cache DNS
server.

I noticed that Bind 9 returns "Server Failure" but Bind 8 doesn't return
anything (timeout) for the same query. 

Why don't you add new RCODE for "unsuccessful lookup"?

- Hyo-Jeong Shin@KT

---

From: bert hubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:03:12 +0200

> Why don't you add new RCODE for "unsuccessful lookup"?

Bit late for that. It is already hard to say "there is no answer", because
this often results in servers being hammered with the same query over and
over and over again.

In other words, you could define such a code, but it would no be respected.

It would also be very close in meaning to 'ServFail'.

Kind regards,

bert hubert

-- 
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software 
http://netherlabs.nl              Open and Closed source services

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>