Subject: DNAME questions

From: David Blacka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:27:50 -0400

I have a few questions about DNAME that I've been storing up.  Since  
some folks are currently working on a 2672bis document, I thought  
that now might be a reasonable time to ask the list.

1. Why does DNAME not match at the DNAME itself?

I can certainly think of reasons why, but I was wondering what the  
original reason was.

2. Does anyone know of any non-trivial production use of DNAME?

I am curious about this for two reasons: a) if not, then the working  
group might be free to modify how DNAME works (or deprecate it), b)  
if not, then why not?  Perhaps the working group should change DNAME  
to make it more useful?

3. Would there be harm in allowing a DNAME and CNAME to both exist at  
the same name?

This is related to questions #1 and #4, actually.  But since DNAMEs  
do not match at the DNAME, does that mean that having a CNAME at the  
same name is not harmful?

4. Is it OK for caches to synthesize CNAMEs from cached DNAMEs?

I believe that some implementations do this, but we did spend a lot  
of time in DNSSEC trying to specify that caches should not synthesize  
negative responses, nor use cached wildcard records to synthesize.   
Should DNAME be any different?

--
David Blacka    <[email-masked]>
Sr. Engineer    VeriSign Applied Research

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>