Subject: DNSEXT WGLC Summary: RFC2929bis

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:40:04 -0500

The Working group last call started with
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg00971.html
has concluded.

During the WGLC the document was reviewed by sufficient number of
reviewers. There is rough consensus to advance the document.
The reviewers are:
Peter Koch
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg00972.html

Scott Rose
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg00973.html

Thierry Moreau
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg00973.html

Måns Nilsson
http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2006/msg01041.html

Sam Weiler (multiple postings)
Thomas Narten (multiple postings)

Following people made comments on the document without explicitly stating
support or not.
Simon Josefsson
Edward Lewis
Bill Manning

There is a rough consensus to advance this document, but number of
changes need to be made in the document. The editor will make the
changes, and the working group will have 1 week after publication to
review the updated version before this document is advanced to the IESG.

To reflect comments received during the last call the editor is requested to
make the following changes in the document:

-  Update RFC references such as TSIG-SHA.

-  Add an IANA Considerations Section incorporate the
    changes from 2929 and new action items by IANA
	(most already in list of changes appendix).  This includes,
	   specify that IANA must archive and make available approved templates

-  The proposed allocation of 32K type codes for Meta and Query types
    conflicts with existing allocations and is excessive.
    Text from 2929bis:
    256 - 32,767
    0x0100 - 0x7FFF - assigned for data TYPEs by the DNS TYPE Allocation
           Policy as specified in section 3.1.1.

    32,768 - 65,279
    0x8000 - 0xFEFF - assigned for Q or Meta TYPEs by the DNS TYPE
           Allocation Policy as specified in section 3.1.1..

    Proposed replacement text :
    256 - 61,439
    0x0100 - 0xEFFF - assigned for data TYPEs by the DNS TYPE Allocation
           Policy as specified in section 3.1.1.

    61,440 - 65,279
    0xF000 - 0xFEFF - Reserved for future use. IETF consensus to define use.

- When describing names for RRTYPE and CLASS,
	Restrict character sets names to [A-Z]{A-Z0-9-]*
        Specify that TYPE and CLASS names are mutually exclusive.

- Changes in first paragraph of Section 3.1.3:
	"meets the following" -> "meets one of the following"
	"expert should reject" -> "expert should normally reject"

- On RRTYPE template make following changes
    -  Add a "requested mnemonic" field to the RRTYPE request template.

    - Add IANA Considerations to the RRTYPE request template.
	("Does this RR make use of any existing IANA Registry or require the
	creation of a new IANA registry?")

    - Drop DNS RRTYPE Expert Guideline number 3

    - Add to the end of Expert Guideline currently numbered 4, "or the DNS
      infrastructure"

    - Add wording to the RRTYPE request template 
to explicit permit inclusion of full
      documentation in the template.

    - Unify the use of "RR Type" "RR type" "RRTYPE" and similar to "RRTYPE"

- On page 6, replace "four octet (32 bit) bit" with "four octet (32 bit)"

- Replace "QCLASS Any" with QCLASS * (ANY)"

- Rename Section 3.3 to be "Label Considerations" and split into label type and
   label content subsections.

	Olafur & Olaf 

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>