Subject: Noah's principle

From: Roy Arends <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:22:52 +0000

I've read MSJ's SO document. I think the approach is certainly 
interesting, but I'm not convinced that Mike's proposal (the part that 
deals with absence of authenticated denial/proven non-existence) will 
significantly increase DNSSEC deployment, which I think is the main 
motivation behind this proposal. I like the idea of the signer being a 
non-parent, (or, for that matter, the signed being a non-child), but that 
is IMHO a whole new research topic.

The discussion on the validity of deploying DNSSEC, or on the feasibility 
or impact of attacks on DNS, is repetitive and old, and has less 
participants every time around. I'm going to apply Noah's principle for my 
own involvement these particular Namedroppers discussions: no more prizes 
on forecasting rain; only for building arks. 

DNSSEC development and deployment is real. A few TLD's deploy DNSSEC, and 
most of the DNS related software developers I've talked to have, or are 
willing to implement DNSSEC. Microsoft's public commitment on adding 
DNSSEC to their server/resolver set is yet one more prize. Meanwhile, 
everyone who wants to use or deploy DNSSEC is screaming for tools, so more 
prizes to win there.

Roy Arends
Nominet

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: bert hubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:03:02 +0100

> on forecasting rain; only for building arks. 

I've pondered this message for a long time, it took a while to discover that
your analogy is not very apt. We "DNSSEC-doubters" are not predicting rain
instead of building an ark.

In fact, we're not forecasting rain at all. To the contrary, we are
wondering why people are proposing to build an ark, where an umbrella will
do.

	Bert

-- 
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software 
http://netherlabs.nl              Open and Closed source services

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:49:14 +0000

> wondering why people are proposing to build an ark, where an umbrella will

nothing less than this "ark" will improve confidence in dns results to the
point where every new application won't need its own end-to-end security
model to ensure that dns hasn't been used to spoof them.  i think the useful
part of this discussion has already gone by; either one believes the vision
or one does not, and i don't expect any new converts in either direction.