Subject: AXFR message id's

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:56:03 -0500

There's a call to require that all responses to an AXFR query carry 
the same message ID.  That's sensible but here is what was in the -05 
version of the document on this matter.

"  ...It SHOULD check the ID of the first message
    received and abort the transfer if it does not match the ID of the
    request.  The ID SHOULD be ignored in subsequent messages, and fields
    other than RCODE and ID SHOULD be ignored in all messages, to ensure
    interoperability with certain older implementations which transmit
    incorrect or arbitrary values in these fields."

It's been more than 5 years since that was written.  Are the certain 
older implementations still in operational use (in a manner in which 
interoperability is an issue)?
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

Think glocally.  Act confused.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>