Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DNS Zone Transfer Protocol (AXFR)
	Author(s)	: A. Gustafsson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-07.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2008-2-5
	
The Domain Name System standard facilities for maintaining coherent
servers for a zone consist of three elements.  The Authoritative
Transfer (AXFR) is defined in RFC 1034 and RFC 1035.  The Incremental
Zone Transfer (IXFR) is defined in RFC 1995.  A mechanism for prompt
notification of zone changes (NOTIFY) is defined in RFC 1996.  The base
definition of these facilities, that of the AXFR, has proven
insufficient in detail, resulting in no implementation complying with
it. Yet today we have a satisfactory set of implementations that do
interoperate. This document is a new definition of the AXFR, new in the
sense that is it recording an accurate definition of an interoperable
AXFR mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-07.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.