Subject: [dnsext] DNS RR (RFC 4701) impacts from draft-arkko-arp-iana-rules

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 23:31:38 +0200

Folks,

I recently wrote a draft about the IANA rules regarding ARP, as no such
rules were defined before.

During last call, it became apparent that there are a few other
protocols that use the same numbers. For instance, specialized forms of
ARP for certain link layers or DHCPv4/6. Having realized this, we did a
more thorough search of the RFC series to attempt to find all such uses.
The new version of my draft lists all these uses and updates the RFCs in
question.

I would like to ask for your review to make sure (a) that the ARP rule
change is OK from the perspective of your protocol and (b) we have found
all uses of the ARP numbers. Here's what the draft says:

"The change is also applicable to extensions of ARP that use the same
message format, such as [RFC0903], [RFC1931], and [RFC2390].

The change also affects other protocols that employ values from the ARP
name spaces.  For instance, the ARP hardware address type (ar$hrd)
number space is also used in the "htype" (hardware address type) fields
in Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) [RFC0951] and Dynamic Host Configuration
Protocol (DHCP) [RFC2131], as well as in the "hardware type" field in
the DHCP Unique Identifiers in DHCPv6 [RFC3315]. These protocols are
therefore affected by the update in the IANA rules.  Other affected
specifications include the specialized address resolution mechanisms in
HYPERchannel [RFC1044], DHCP options [RFC2132], [RFC4361], ATM
(Asynchronous Transfer Mode) ARP [RFC2225], HARP (High-Performance
Parallel Interface ARP) [RFC2834], [RFC2835], Dual MAC FDDI (Fiber
Distributed Data Interface) ARP [RFC1329], MAPOS (Multiple Access
Protocol over Synchronous Optical Network/Synchronous Digital Hierarchy)
ARP [RFC2176], FC (Fibre Channel) ARP [RFC4338], and DNS Resource
Records [RFC4701]."

(We have only listed a protocol as affected when uses ARP values
directly, e.g., in its own protocol message formats. Use of ARP as-is is
of course not an issue. I have also not listed the many IP over Foo
specifications that talk about how to use ARP in Foo, describing what
hardware type values to use, etc.)

Here's the URL for the draft:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-arp-iana-rules-04

Jari

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>