Subject: Re: [dnsext] AXFR Clarify -- open issue w/ 'zone loading'

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:55:48 -0500

For -11, is this wording okay or is the whole thing just too much garbage.

(This would be the second paragraph of section 6 as seen in -10.)

If a server rejects data contained in an AXFR session, the server
SHOULD remember the serial number and MAY attempt to retrieve the
same zone version again.  The reason the same retrieval could make
sense is that the reason for the rejection could be rooted in an
implementation detail of one AXFR server used for the zone and not
in another AXFR server used for the zone.

At 10:12 -0500 1/8/09, Edward Lewis wrote:
...

>Is this a better version?
>
>| "If an AXFR client rejects the zone data contained in an otherwise
>|  successfully completed AXFR session, it SHOULD attempt to retrieve
>|  the same zone version again."
>
>"SHOULD" - "MAY" - ?

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Never confuse activity with progress.  Activity pays more.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:20:02 +0100 (MEZ)

At Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:55:48 -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:

>| If a server rejects data contained in an AXFR session, the server
>| SHOULD remember the serial number and MAY attempt to retrieve the
>| same zone version again.  The reason the same retrieval could make
>| sense is that the reason for the rejection could be rooted in an
>| implementation detail of one AXFR server used for the zone and not
>| in another AXFR server used for the zone.

I agree with the new text (a bit more emphasized above).

It leaves most aspects of AXFR invocation strategies to the meta /
management (level decided to be out-of-scope of the draft), and it
grants flexibility without affecting the on-the-wire AXFR protocol.

  Alfred.