Subject: [dnsext] Signing the root with SHA-1 by Sep 1st

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 14:19:05 -0400

The original subject "Signing the root with SHA-1 or SHA-2" seems to have
diverged, but after re-reading the thread, it seems there is fairly
strong consensus to run with SHA-1, exercising algorithm rollover later.

I'm proposing Sep 1st.

My rationale is that educational institutions will be started, or ready
to start shortly thereafter.  They are already dealing with new students,
and help desks will be able to give strong feedback on any problems.

Likewise, many/most businesses will have their staff back from holidays.

Finally, it's a Tuesday.  I've always found it best to roll out changes
on Tuesday, as it gives plenty of customer feedback time during the week.
Mondays are often consumed with catching up on any operational problems
over the weekend.  Tuesday is better.  02:00 UTC is my favorite, although
anytime after 00:00 UTC usually works OK.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 15:38:34 -0600

Bill and all,

  This is take I have as well.

> anytime after 00:00 UTC usually works OK.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
"Obedience of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

"Credit should go with the performance of duty and not with what is
very often the accident of glory" - Theodore Roosevelt

"If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
===============================================================
Updated 1/26/04
CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security IDNS.
div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail
[email-masked]
My Phone: 214-244-4827