Subject: [dnsext] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc3597-bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Handling of Unknown DNS Resource Record (RR) Types
	Author(s)       : A. Gustafsson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc3597-bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2009-09-23

Extending the Domain Name System (DNS) with new Resource Record (RR)
types should not requires changes to name server software.  This
document specifies how new RR types are transparently handled by DNS
software.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc3597-bis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:16:29 -0700

Is there a definitive list of the differences between this document and RFC 3597, which it intends to replace? A short bit in the introduction about the purpose of the revision, and a solid appendix with the  actual diffs, would be greatly appreciated.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Andreas Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:32:38 +0300

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Is there a definitive list of the differences between this document
> and RFC 3597, which it intends to replace? A short bit in the
> introduction about the purpose of the revision, and a solid appendix
> with the actual diffs, would be greatly appreciated.

The purpose of the revision is to make it possible to advance the
specification to Draft Standard.  To that end:

 - The reference to the DNS IANA Considerations BCP (BCP42) has 
   been changed from RFC2929 to the current version, RFC5395

 - Downward references have been eliminated; specifically,
   the document no longer refers to RFC2163 or RFC2535.

 - IP addresses in examples have been changed to the 192.0.2.0/24
   range per RFC3330

 - The draft no longer specifies changes to the DNSSEC
   canonical form and ordering, as those changes have
   now been incorporated into the base DNSSEC specification.

There has also been a number of editorial changes, for example to
make the text in the Abstract and Introduction better reflect the
current state of implementation.
-- 
Andreas Gustafsson, [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:52:05 -0700

>current state of implementation.

Thank you, but all that really should be in the draft (starting with the -01, of course) so that people reading the document now, or as an RFC, will know that.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium