Subject: [dnsext] WG Action: RECHARTER: DNS Extensions Working group (dnsext)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

The charter of the DNS Extensions Working group (dnsext) working group in
the Internet Area of the IETF has been updated.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

DNS Extensions Working group (dnsext)
----------------------------------------

Last Modified: 2009-09-05

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive: http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/

Description of Working Group:

The DNS has a large installed base and repertoire of protocol
specifications. The DNSEXT WG group will actively advance DNS
protocol-related RFCs on the standards track while thoroughly
reviewing further proposed extensions. The scope of the DNSEXT WG is
confined to the DNS protocol, particularly changes that affect DNS
protocols "on the wire" or the internal processing of DNS data. DNS
operations are out of scope for the WG.

The WG will limit itself to review of proposals for new extensions
and clarification to the DNS protocol, including DNSSEC. Adoption of
new work targeted for standards track will require changes to this
charter.

The working group can nevertheless undertake work in following
subjects without a charter change:
	
        DNSSEC and TSIG/TKEY algorithm maintenance
	Hardening DNS protocol and providing guidance to implementors
	Advancing existing Proposed Standard RFCs to Draft/Full Standard
	Obsoleting RFCs.
	Maintaining a Wiki containing a guide to DNS protocol RFC's. 
	Improving DNS zone synchronization mechanisms 
	Examining transport protocols, possibly adding new ones.

Before formal adoption of any such items at least 5 working group
participants must publicly state that the item is within charter and is
worthwhile item for further study.

The DNSEXT WG will conduct the specified RFC5395 review of RR
templates as they are posted, and EDNS0 Option templates if EDNS0-bis
updates registration requirements.

The WG will review DNS protocol related work which may originate
elsewhere in the IETF, including AD-sponsored submissions or drafts
in other working group. The WG does not intend to hold face to face
meetings, though may do so if deemed necessary for resolution of a
specific issue at hand. 

Milestones:
Aug  2009  TSIG/MD5 Obsoleting to IESG. 
Sep  2009  EDNS0 Ping Option advanced to IESG 
Oct  2009  Resolver side Forgery Resilience advanced to IESG
Oct  2009  DNSSEC Errata document to IESG 
Nov  2009  GOST DNSKEY and DS support advanced to IESG
Dec  2009  EDNS0-bis update advanced to IESG 
Feb  2010  DNS existing transport protocol recommendations/clarifications
to IESG 
Jan  2010  AXFR Clarify to IESG