Subject: [dnsext] Two more details in draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc3597-bis-00

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:09:50 +0200 (MESZ)

I have consulted the notes I had made many years ago on RFC 3597,
and after a closer look at the new draft text, I suggest two small
changes, which can well be considered as merely editorial:

(1)  Section 2, last para

The draft says:
                                            vv
|  In the case of a type whose RDATA format is class specific, an RR is
   considered to be of unknown type when the RDATA format for that
   combination of type and class is not known.

An implementation for which a given RR type is "unknown" is unable to
verify the precondition in that sentence.  As a remedy, I suggest to
insert "known to be":
                                            vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
|  In the case of a type whose RDATA format is known to be class
   specific, an RR is considered to be of unknown type when the RDATA
   format for that combination of type and class is not known.

(2)  Section 4, 3rd para

The draft says:

   Receiving servers MUST decompress domain names in RRs of well-known
   type, and SHOULD also decompress RRs of type RP, AFSDB, RT, SIG, PX,
|  NXT, NAPTR, and SRV to ensure interoperability with implementations
   predating [RFC3597].

A closer look at the RR type registry reveals that the given list
of exceptional RR types -- looking weird at first glance -- in fact
is ordered by ascending numerical RR type -- with one single exception:
NAPTR and SRV !
I guess this was a clerical error in RFC 3597.

To achieve systematic list ordering, these two names should be swapped:

   Receiving servers MUST decompress domain names in RRs of well-known
   type, and SHOULD also decompress RRs of type RP, AFSDB, RT, SIG, PX,
|  NXT, SRV, and NAPTR to ensure interoperability with implementations
        ^^^      ^^^^^
   predating [RFC3597].

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

---

From: Andreas Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 22:18:39 +0300

> changes, which can well be considered as merely editorial:

Both of your suggested changes will be in the next revision of the
draft.  Thank you for your comments!

Regards,
-- 
Andreas Gustafsson, [email-masked]