Subject: Re: [dnsext] Re-ordering of responses over TCP

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:18:20 +0200 (MESZ)

In the message archived at
<http://ops.IETF.ORG/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2009/msg02530.html>,
I read:

> ...
>
>> I think a client submitting multiple queries over a single TCP
>> connection would probably expect this behavior, but does anyone
>> know of a client that might fail?
>
> named-xfer in bind4 did not check the TXID on the SOA response
> or the AXFR.
>
>> Should this be made clear somewhere in the standard?
>
> probably so.  right now the standard says use TXID for disambiguation
> and does not guarantee ordering for any transport.  yet reordering is
> rare enough that there may be stubs out there who successfully presume
> ordering.

Please note that this issue (among other legacy ambiguities)
is being addressed for AXFR in an ongoing WG effort, currently
draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-11.

  Alfred.

P.S.:  Did the WG forget to further comment on that draft,
       or did I miss procedural progress for that draft
       after consensus had been reached?

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:49:19 -0400

> draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-11.

Is that draft still alive in any meaningful sense?

Joe

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:14:29 -0400

> Is that draft still alive in any meaningful sense?

The last I heard from the editor, he'd received my comments prior to
initiating WGLC and would work on it.  He said he intended to finish
it, but that it was lower priority than some other items that were
hanging around.

My opinion is that it's still alive.  Perhaps Ed can weigh in about
whether he still has it on his TODO?

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.