Subject: Source material for RFCs (was: Re: [dnsext] a possible errata to RFC2136)

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:22:36 +0100 (MEZ)

At Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:21:57 -0500, Olafur Gudmundsson  wrote:

> FWIW, I have a copy of the nroff file that the rfc-editor used
> to generate RFC2136.
>
>       Olafur

There's (in general) no need to escape to private copies.

It is an explicit task [*] of the RFC Editor to securely archive the
'source' documents used to generate RFCs as well, and to hand out
copies of these files to interested parties, e.g. for the purpose of
performing follow-up work.

So simply ask the RFC Editor if there's a need!

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

[*]
An interesting reading for folks who want to look behind the scenes
of the RFC Editor, how they work and -- collaterally -- how authors
can contribute to {speed up|slow down} their work,
and who also have enough spare time on travelling:

  http://IAOC.IETF.ORG/docs/Bidders-Conference-Transcript-6-03-09.txt
or
  http://IAOC.IETF.ORG/docs/Bidders-Conference-Transcript-6-03-09.pdf

More related material can be found on
  http://IAOC.IETF.ORG/rfced-procurement.html#PositionDes
and
  http://IAOC.IETF.ORG/rfced-procurement.html#Bidders