Subject: Re: [dnsext] Comments on draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-12

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:10:14 -0500

I had completely missed these comments until Bob mentioned you had 
made them.  (Lost in the 
end-of-the-year-while-I-was-on-vacation-pile-and-it-wasn't-in-my-in-box-too.)

At 18:08 +0200 12/30/09, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:

>I don't think it makes sense to talk about a "0 message response" as a
>type of response distinct from that of immediately closing the TCP
>connection (as discussed in section 2.3).

Other than that, the comments are pretty much no-brainers to adopt. 
This one I had to think about a bit though, even if ultimately I 
agree.

I suppose that if the server isn't going to respond yet keeps the 
connection open for other traffic, then it's the client that just 
hangs around.  Perhaps there's never a case where a server would 
continue to accept other traffic from a client yet let an AXFR query 
go un-answered (even if refused).

Ultimately, a client ought to have a time-out, where it gives up on 
hearing the transfer, I suppose.  And I think this is a parameter in 
at least one implementation.  So I guess it seems reasonable to drop 
this - but from the perspective of an implementer, shouldn't they 
know that this could happen?  Or is that covered elsewhere?

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

As with IPv6, the problem with the deployment of frictionless surfaces is
that they're not getting traction.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:25:07 +0000

> go un-answered (even if refused).

	actually, the server consumes resource to keep the connection
	open, even if at a higher layer it is not going to respond; e.g.
	the server just "hangs around" too.  and it certainly can open
	new connection requests from that (or other) client(s) while
	waiting.

> know that this could happen?  Or is that covered elsewhere?

	TCP does have a timeout option and the original DNS spec
	sez to close after a 120second window.

> NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468
				for whom?

--bill