Subject: [dnsext] Re: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-13

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:28:52 +0100 (MEZ)

Thanks Hendrik and the Tools team, the I-D submission process
now works smoothly for documents containing the most recent
boilerplate text.  After resubmission, the Secretariat wrote:

> A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-13.txt has
> been successfuly submitted by Alfred Hoenes and posted to the IETF
> repository.
>
> Filename:        draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify
> Revision:        13
> Title:           DNS Zone Transfer Protocol (AXFR)
> Creation_date:   2010-01-18
> WG ID:           dnsext
> Number_of_pages: 28
>
> Abstract:
> The Domain Name System standard mechanisms for maintaining coherent
> servers for a zone consist of three elements.  One mechanism is the
> Authoritative Transfer (AXFR) defined in RFC 1034 and RFC 1035.
> The definition of AXFR has proven insufficient in detail, thereby
> forcing implementations intended to be compliant to make assumptions,
> impeding interoperability.  Yet today we have a satisfactory set of
> implementations that do interoperate.  This document is a new
> definition of AXFR -- new in the sense that it records an accurate
> definition of an interoperable AXFR mechanism.
>
>
> The IETF Secretariat.

The updated draft version incorporates the comments received
during WGLC and should represent the perceived consensus of the
discussion.

Since the draft traditionally did not contain a revision history,
here is the most recent state of my change log since version -12 :

   o  renamed trailing section "13. Editors' Addresses"
      to (unnumbered) "Authors' Addresses" to make happy
      idnits, the draft submission tool, and the RFC Editor;
      AH marked "Editor"; EL not marked; updated page 1 boilerplate
   o  Note d) in 2.1.1 shortened, content partially merged into 2.1.5,
      additional elaborations there; similar changes to 2.2.1 Note g)
      and 2.2.5  (based on WGLC comments from Andreas Gustafsson)
   o  Changed 1st para of 2.2 and deleted old Section 2.2.1;
      renumbered 2.2.2 thru 2.2.6 accordingly (now aligned with 2.1.*);
      added note in 4.1.1 to conserve some semantics of old 2.2.1
      (based on comment from Andreas Gustafsson and Bill Manning)
   o  Discussion of old single-RR-per-response behavior moved from
      3.1 to 2.2 and amended to describe the issue
      (based on comments and new text from Andreas Gustafsson)
   o  AD and CD bits in 2.2.1 changed to 'mbz'; old Note e) deleted
      (based on comments from Andreas Gustafsson)
   o  clarified objective (copy zone as served literally to secondary)
      and consequences for case-preserving name compression in 3. and
      3.4; requirement level for the latter demoted to SHOULD
      (comments from Brian Wellington and discussion with others
      including Andrew Sullivan and Paul Vixie)
   o  various editorial fixes and improvements (WGLC comments from
      Mark Andrews, Andreas Gustafsson, Niall O'Reilly)
   o  updated Acknowledgements

Thanks again for all reviews and comments received on-list and off-list.
Please verify that your comments have been addressed sufficiently.

The HTML version of the draft is available on the Tools pages at

  http://tools.IETF.ORG/html/draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-13

and the diffs can be found at

  http://tools.IETF.ORG/rfcdiff?difftype=--hwdiff&url2=draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-13.txt

Passing the token now over to Andrew ...

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:00:15 -0500

Dear colleagues,

> during WGLC and should represent the perceived consensus of the

As you are no doubt aware, we recently completed a WGLC on the
previous version of the document.  There was a fair amount of
discussion during LC, particularly on the casing issue (I say
"particularly" because I see discussion continues, which makes me
think the proposed text to face this isn't quite right yet).  I want
to make sure people agree with the text as it has been altered.

Therefore, I propose to wait for at least one week before sending this
document to the IESG.  If you had remarks during the
recently-concluded WGLC, _please_ check over the document or the diffs
and make sure your issues were addressed.

One week today is 28 January.  There is a faint chance that I will be
able to attend to this document then.  If not, I may not get to it
until some time that weekend, because I'll be travelling starting the
29th & will have limited connectivity.

If I hear nothing before I prepare the PROTO write up, I will assume
that those who raised issues have in fact read the new version and
approve.  I would prefer to hear positively from you, however, so if
you do actually check it please let me know.

Again, this is a fairly old draft.  I encourage those who haven't read
it to check it now, because the later we discover issues with it, the
more work we'll have to do to complete this work item.  Thanks to Ed
and Alfred for moving this ahead, and to the reviewers for poring over
the document.

Best regards,

Andrew.

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.