Subject: [dnsext] draft-ietf-dnsext-newzone-notify-01 -- stuff for DNSOP ?

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:58:04 +0100 (MEZ)

Dear authors,
your I-D, draft-ietf-dnsext-newzone-notify-01, proposes an in-band
solution for a DNS nameserver management task.

However, it does not explain why this should be done in-band in the
DNS protocol and not in the nameserver management framework
"discussed" in DNSOP:

    draft-ietf-dnsop-name-server-management-reqs
and
    draft-dickinson-dnsop-nameserver-control .

Unfortunately, these efforts have substantially suffered from the
everybody-busy-with-dnssec-deployment syndrome, in recent months.
But it might be useful for you to consider joining that caravana
and helping to revive these projects.

Otherwise, your draft should argue precisely why it does not make
sense (in your opinion) to perform the 'bootstrapping' of
authoritiative DNS service for new zones in such far more
general/versatile framework for nameserver management.

If in-band, are there alternatives to a new DNS opcode -- e.g. an
addition to NOTIFY (flag, QTYPE, whatever) ?

The Security Considerations seem to heavily underrate the threats
to which such solution would be exposed.  It's not the basic query
(pull) paradigm of DNS, it's some kind of 'push' operation, which
most likely has considerations beyond those of NOTIFY and UPDATE!

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+