Subject: [dnsext] Sameness and tools

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:09:54 -0700

After the many discussions here at IETF77 I've heard, I still see no
reason the "zone sameness" and "name sameness" cannot be solved entirely
before the DNS server touches the zone.

I do not believe we need any new protocol work here.

If we want the BNAME behavior (CNAME + DNAME) then a tool can write out
the zone apex + a DNAME record, pointing to the "true location."  Or the
registry can insert a DNAME in the TLD zone.  DNAME works today in
deployed code.

If we want name variants to exist, the tool can add them.

This is all done already.  Companies register many different variations
of spelling of their products, as well as the usual trio of com, net,
and org.  They handle this, I don't see why we need something new.

I think dnsext thinks of everything as a protocol change, when sometimes
we should just say "just write more data for us to serve, it's easier
all around."

--Michael

---

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:56:57 -0700

On 3/25/10 1:52 PM, Ondřej Surý wrote:

> Because I cannot alias sury.cz MX to sury.org using DNAME (even when put
> into the registry) and so I am forced to keep all my domain names
> manually in sync.

Or have a tool to do it.

> And if you want a "cron-job" tool it would have to have XFR access to
> destination zone, because you need to copy whole content of zone apex.

Given the tools that exist today, perhaps that is true.  Suppose you had
a tool that, given sury.cz, it would generate a sury.org (or whichever
order) that had those records, and when you publish sury.cz, it just
publishes the other as well if needed.

I think that tool would be a lot easier to deploy than dns changes +
tool changes to use those features.

--Michael

---

From: Ondřej Surý <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:52:25 +0100

Ondrej
-- 
  Ondřej Surý
  vedoucí výzkumu/R&D manager
  -------------------------------------------
  CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.    --    Laboratoře CZ.NIC
  Americka 23, 120 00 Praha 2, Czech Republic
  mailto:[email-masked]    http://nic.cz/
  tel:+420.222745110       fax:+420.222745112
  -------------------------------------------