Subject: [dnsext] clarifications needed on draft-vandergaast-edns-client-ip-01

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 11:59:56 +0100

The draft's definition of Intermediate Nameservers includes Recursive  
Resolvers.
Section 4.1 says Intermediate Nameservers MUST pass through the edns- 
client-subnet option as-is. Yet it later says a Recursive Resolver MAY  
drop this option. How is this contradiction going to be fixed?

There's also nothing in the draft about other entities that might be  
in the path between the stub resolver and authoritative name server:  
eg a firewall or some other middleware box that forwards/proxies DNS  
traffic. How are they to behave? Are they allowed or forbidden to  
inject/discard edns-client-subnet options on the DNS traffic they pass?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 11:10:32 +0000

> inject/discard edns-client-subnet options on the DNS traffic they pass?

	and if "middleware" is allowed to tamper w/ the datagrams
	in transit, why is it OK to inject/discard edns-client-subnet options
	and not other options?  What makes this option special?

--bill