Subject: [dnsext] New work and a proposed new charter

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 12:42:47 -0400

Dear colleagues,

We have been following the discussion about aliasing with great
interest.  We have come to the conclusion that work on this topic is
needed, that there is work on this topic that we might be able to do,
and that there is interest among WG participants to do it.

We believe, however, that in order to undertake the work, the WG
requires rechartering.  We have been nominally "asleep" for some time.
We have to wake up.

Accordingly, we enclose for consideration a proposed new charter for
the DNS Extensions Working Group.  We solicit your input to see
whether you can subscribe to this charter.  You can obviously compare
this to the existing charter yourself, but here are some highlighted
changes:

    - The work area list is expanded.  It now includes an item that
      would allow us to adopt DNS Curve (since we've been asked to
      do), among other things.  It also includes scope for the
      aliasing discussions we've been having.

    - The language about not intending to have meetings &c. is
      removed.

    - There is a fairly sketchy problem statement about aliasing in
      the text.

    - The milestones have been updated.  Some lingering work has some
      new, fairly aggressive timetables.

    - IXFR-only has been added to the milestones.  There are adequate
      reviewers for that work, and it is clearly on charter even under
      the old rules.

    - A milestone for agreement on any new or revised RRs related to
      aliasing work is added.  The reason for this is that we have
      required interop testing in the past even before sending things
      out of the WG.  This case we think will be the same.  The goal
      is to do that testing roughly contemporary with the July 2011
      IETF meeting.

    - New milestones have been added for three classes of aliasing
      work.  They are all listed with the same date, because we're
      treating them as a package.  There is nothing saying that, if
      something is ready before the others, it needs to wait around.

The schedule we have worked out is for roughly a year and a half.  We
believe this is a completely realistic schedule.  We also think that,
if the WG cannot complete the work in that time (or thinks it cannot),
it will be hard for us to justify even taking on the work or, for that
matter, our continued existence as a WG.

We have requested two sessions at IETF-78.  One of these is intended
to run for one hour, but its primary target is not regular DNSEXT
attendees.  Instead, it is intended as a pure input-gathering session
from the rest of the IETF community.  The goal here is for some number
of us DNS weenies to make sure we have the full list of everything
people are dissatisfied with about current aliasing approaches.  This
input will contribute directly to the "uses and limitations" document
contemplated in the draft charter.

During the other session, we will have our usual DNSEXT meeting.
Current items planned for the agenda include adoption of this charter,
some hammering out of the aliasing work, and nailing down some other
loose ends in adopted DNSEXT work.  Watch the list for a draft agenda.

We will take responses to this proposed charter as input, and revise
it if need be according to that input.

Thanks for your continued participation.

Best regards,

Olafur & Andrew

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.

---

From: "Jiankang YAO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 09:13:34 +0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Andrew Sullivan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:42 AM
Subject: [dnsext] New work and a proposed new charter

> and that there is interest among WG participants to do it.

+1