Subject: [dnsext] an analogy

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:54:02 +0200

Analogies are terrible for arguing points or illustrating ideas (when 
there is contention) but sometimes they help when trying to define a 
problem.  The following analogy came to me in the second DNSEXR WG 
session and thought I would ask on the list for comments about the 
issues it raises.

Pretend that I run a library, a traditional, bricks-and-mortar 
facility with real, old-fashioned books.  "In front" of my collection 
is a card catalogue.

My collection is divided into genres - youth, romance, biography, 
sci-fi, animation (cartoons), reference, and so on.  Along comes a 
popular book, and I can buy just one copy, but it fits many genres - 
biography, romance, and a cartoon for example.

Where do I put the book?  How do I make sure that someone who thinks 
of it as a youth book finds it?  How do I make sure that someone who 
thinks of it as a biography finds it?

In this analogy, the book itself is the "first class citizen" data 
(records that can be the RDATA of a MX).  The categories are the 
variants of written scripts.

What is the card catalog?  Obviously there can be pointers from the 
cards to the physical book with all of the cards being the second 
class citizens.  The open question is, what does the card catalog 
translate to in DNS-life (if this analogy holds)?  Is it part of the 
DNS at all, does it hint that maybe we have a class of "first class 
zones" and a class of "second class forwarder zones"?

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Spouses, like Internet protocols, lack necessary troubleshooting tools. Sigh.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:40:58 +0000

see also... "additional section processing"

--bill