Subject: [dnsext] New proposed charter for WG

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 11:02:37 -0400

Dear colleagues,

In light of the recent discussions both on the list and in person, the
chairs propose the following new charter for the WG.  In Maastricht we
committed to closing this topic by 15 September.  We'd like to send
this to our AD on the 15th.  Your comments are solicited.

We are aware that there are some who object to the second bullet if it
opens the possibility of adopting the dnscurve work.  On balance, we
have concluded that it would be better to leave that possibility open
without committing to a particular course of action.

Note that this proposed charter explicitly pushes adoption of BNAME,
SHADOW, or any other proposals for solving the aliasing issues until
after we have made some progress on the problem statement.

Best regards,

Andrew and Olafur

DRAFT charter for DNSEXT, 2010-09-07.  SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Description of Working Group:

The DNS has a large installed base and repertoire of protocol
specifications. The DNSEXT working group will actively advance DNS
protocol-related RFCs on the standards track while thoroughly
reviewing further proposed extensions. The scope of the DNSEXT WG is
confined to the DNS protocol, particularly changes that affect DNS
protocols "on the wire" or the internal processing of DNS data. DNS
operations are out of scope for the WG.

The WG will consider work in the following areas:

* DNSSEC and TSIG/TKEY algorithm maintenance;
* Mechanisms that complement, or are alternatives to, TSIG and SIG(0);
* Hardening DNS protocol and providing guidance to implementers;
* Advancing existing DNS-related Proposed Standard RFCs to Draft/Full
  Standard;
* Obsoleting DNS-related RFCs;
* Improving DNS zone synchronization mechanisms; 
* Examining transport protocols, possibly adding new ones;
* Mechanisms to alias DNS trees or parts thereof.

Before formal adoption of any work item at least 5 working group
participants must publicly state that the item is within charter and
is a worthwhile item for further study.

The DNSEXT WG will conduct the specified RFC5395 review of RR
templates as they are posted, and EDNS0 Option templates if EDNS0-bis
updates registration requirements.

The WG will review DNS protocol related work which may originate
elsewhere in the IETF, including AD-sponsored submissions or drafts
in other working group.

Goals and Milestones:

Sept 2010      RFC3597-bis Unknown RR advanced to IESG for PS                   
Sept 2010      DNSKEY Registry fixes and allocation procedure advanced to       
                               IESG                                                            Oct 2010       DNSSEC Errata document to IESG                                   
Oct 2010       DNAME-bis to IESG                                                
Nov 2010       EDNS0-bis update advanced to IESG                                
Nov 2010       Aliasing requirements and current state survey document 
                        to IESG
Nov 2010       Decision about new protocol elements, if any, for aliasing                    
Dec 2010       If new protocol elements, recharter                              
Dec 2010       IXFR-only to IESG   
Jan 2010       Algorithm signaling document to IESG 

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:50:41 -0400

Colleagues,

Just a reminder about this impending date.  I trust, from the lack of
responses, that this charter meets everyone's understanding for the
WG's commitments.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.