Subject: Re: [dnsext] Re: need new flag bit in EDNS, "do me no favours" (DMNF)

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:22:52 +0000

* Paul Vixie:

>> Why doesn't that belong better in HTTP? The HTTP WG is probably better
>> placed to define whatever a "web error" is.
>
> if you get an nxdomain you won't be connecting to any web server
> anywhere.

This depends on the browser and on the domain name.  Quite a few
implement search fallback, try again with "www." prepended.
Redirection to search seems important because most users do not care
about the difference between DNS-based and search-engine-based
lookups.

-- 
Florian Weimer                <[email-masked]>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH       http://www.bfk.de/
Kriegsstraße 100              tel: +49-721-96201-1
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99

---

From: Andreas Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 13:42:26 +0200

> about the difference between DNS-based and search-engine-based

Indeed - important enough that at least one browser is taking
defensive measures to ensure that this redirection to search
is not broken by NXDOMAIN spoofing:

  http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-discuss/msg/5891e258e6015fc5

-- 
Andreas Gustafsson, [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 15:31:12 +0000

Andreas Gustafsson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> defensive measures to ensure that this redirection to search is not
> broken by NXDOMAIN spoofing:
> 

in the info-war over the ownership of eyeballs, we will all be collateral
victims.