Subject: [dnsext] Small proposed change to draft-registry-fixes

From: Scott Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:18:02 -0400

There was a comment during last call of draft-registry-fixes about Section
2.1.  The text:

The description for assignment number 4 is changed to "Reserved until
   2020".

   The description for assignment number 9 is changed to "Reserved until
   2020".

   The description for assignment number 11 is changed to "Reserved
   until 2020".

The reasoning behind the date 2010 was an attempt to "wait out" older
implementations that may
have included these codes as previous reservations for algorithms that were
never specified.

The proposed text would change "Reserved until 2020" in the above to
"Reserved until all other codes have been allocated"

Or should it simply be "Reserved" and leave it at that?

Scott
_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:20:46 -0700

On May 31, 2011, at 10:18 AM, Scott Rose wrote:

> There was a comment during last call of draft-registry-fixes about Section 2.1.  The text:
> 
> The reasoning behind the date 2010 was an attempt to "wait out" older implementations that may
> have included these codes as previous reservations for algorithms that were never specified.
> 
> The proposed text would change "Reserved until 2020" in the above to "Reserved until all other codes have been allocated"
> 

The latter has the same effect as the former and is less contentious.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:32:58 -0400

>Or should it simply be "Reserved" and leave it at that?

How soon are we going to run out of numbers?

(It's not like we haven't been sloppy before.  See RR type code 
3,4,7,8,10,...,40, or my favorites 32 [double useless] and 33 [half 
useless].)

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Now, don't say I'm always complaining.
Wait, that's a complaint, isn't it?
_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:09:56 +1000

> How soon are we going to run out of numbers?

We will *never* run out of numbers though it will take some standards
work to extend the number space.  We already have two working
examples of how to do this (oid and domain).

-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
dnsext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext