Subject: nasreq draft-ekstein-roamops-protcomp-00.txt

From: Ronnie Ekstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:45:38 +0200

hi *,

we have recently submitted draft-ekstein-roamops-protcomp-00.txt. The
draft gives a protocol comparison between the RADIUS, DIAMETER and COPS
protocols. Although it has been submitted to the roamops group, we think

it is of relevance too for nasreq and aaa WG.

We would be happy to receive improvements/comments on this document.

Abstract
--------

Although RADIUS, DIAMETER and COPS all serve the purpose of distributing

(some subfunctions of) the AAA service, there are many differences
between these protocols.

These differences (based on the protocol operation) are briefly compared

with their possible implications on the functionality or applicability
of the protocol.

Comparison is based upon :
- the relative support of authentication, authorization, accounting and
transport of configuration information
- the extensibility in terms of messages and attributes
- the support of unsolicited messages
- the reliability in operation
- the scalability
- the way they provide security, both on a hop-by-hop and end-to-end
basis (in proxy situations)

The draft further discusses the compliance of the RADIUS, DIAMETER and
COPS protocols to the requirements for the provisioning of "roaming
capability" for dialup Internet users outlined in RFC 2477.

This is at large 'work in progress' and we solicit any input that might
help us to improve the quality of the draft.

Kind regards,

Ronnie Ekstein
Yves T'Joens
Bernard Sales