Subject: (NAT) RUTS email list

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 23:13:48 -0800

[apologies for duplicates]

At the Orlando IETF there was a BOF on Requirements for Unicast Transport/
Sessions ("RUTS"), the goal of which was to develop a better understanding
of why a number of IETF efforts wind up building custom protocols on top
of UDP rather than using TCP.

There's now a mailing list, [email-masked], for further discussion of the
requirements considerations that cause these efforts to decide on something
other than TCP.  To subscribe, send email to [email-masked] with the
subject "subscribe".  Note that there's not yet any traffic on the list.
We'll be sending draft minutes of the BOF and a summary to the list in a few
days, though.  Also, please note that the main purpose of the list is to
discuss *requirements* and *not* transport protocol proposals or tweaks for
addressing those requirements, per the appended mailing list "welcome"
message.

		Vern & Scott

The RUTS mailing list is for exploring the application requirements that
lead various IETF efforts to develop new forms of reliable transport
protocols because they perceive TCP is inadequate for those requirements.
 
The focus is on clear-and-present *requirements* for unicast and reliable
(or "near-reliable") transport/sessions and on existing TCP mechanisms that
can in fact address some of those requirements.
 
Discussions of general transport protocol features or specific alternative
transport protocols (except as they illustrate requirements) are out of scope.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	[email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.