Subject: RE: (NAT) NAT internet/outside miss

From: "Saint-Hilaire, Ylian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 16:39:23 -0700

If the RSIP server could notify that the list of intranet addresses is
complete (not a subset), the client could choice not to query each time or
maintain a cache, it could save a trip to the RSIP server each time the
client initiates traffic to a new address. Still, the current system should
also be maintained.

If a caching scheme is used, should there be a recommended cache lifetime or
a way for the server to invalidate client caches?

Ylian Saint-Hilaire
Intel Communication Architecture Labs

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael C. Richardson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 1999 3:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (NAT) NAT internet/outside miss 

>>>>> "Saint-Hilaire," == Saint-Hilaire, Ylian
<[email-masked]> writes:
    Saint-Hilaire,> Clients using an RSIP gateway know that addresses or
    Saint-Hilaire,> subnets are "inside" or must be NAT'ed. Unless they
query
    Saint-Hilaire,> the RSIP server every time, or the server gave the

  They could query the RSIP gateway every time, and cache the answers.
  A DNS record could also be designed to indicate things (in the
in-addr.arpa
reverse map), and RSIP-aware internal DNS servers could add that info to
queries. That would piggy back the query into an operation the client is
already doing, and reuse the DNS caching and signing mechanisms.

   :!mcr!:            |  Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow
Disease?
   Michael Richardson |  Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
 Home: <A
HREF="http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html">
[email-masked]</A>. PGP key available.
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.