Subject: RE: (NAT) RSIP over TCP stream

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 15:21:06 -0800

At 08:41 AM 11/4/99 -0800, Iyer, Prakash wrote:
>Maybe we can have an informal vote on this at the NAT WG meeting and 
>unless we see pushback, we could drop UDP altogether.

We will do just that (not a vote, but an IETF hum). Please come to the 
meeting in D.C. so we have have a face to face chat about it.

Those who feel strongly about keeping UDP as an option and can
articulate that in email, please speak up now so we can save time
in D.C.

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe nat' in the body of the message.

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 16:03:38 -0800

At 03:44 PM 11/4/99 -0800, Eliot Lear wrote:
>Has anyone considered the implications of delay sensitive applications
>over RSIP?

Sure, but in absence of congestion, TCP should work fine. If there is 
congestion, you're going to have problems in any case and at least TCP will 
back off.

Or are you referring to TCP setup time? That would depend on the
application.

-

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 02:07:27 -0500

I use ppp-over-tcp for tunnelling from time to time.  the performance
is really lousy when packet loss is noticeable, because there are two
layers of TCP retransmissions, and packets which the receiver thinks
are lost end up getting delivered eventually..

The short answer is that TCP is a poor network layer for TCP; TCP
would much rather run over a link layer where packets either show up on
time, or not at all..

rsip-over-tcp will likely have similar performance characteristics;
for that reason, I'd argue that rsip-over-udp should be the preferred
mode of operation.

					- Bill
-

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 01:37:37 -0800

We're talking about the transport for the control channel
here, not the data channel. TCP-tunneling is not an option
for RSIP tunneling on the data channel, so we don't have
to worry about that. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Bill Sommerfeld
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 1999 11:07 PM
To: Matt Holdrege
Cc: Iyer, Prakash; 'Mike Borella'; [email-masked]; Saint-Hilaire,
Ylian; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (NAT) RSIP over TCP stream 

					- Bill
-

-