Subject: [NAT] regarding support of IP options

From: "Lakshmi Nirmala Vinnakota" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:33:15 +0000

Section 4.6 of RFC 3022 mentions that a NAT router may choose to support IP 
options or leave the addresses untraslated while processing the options. The 
result of leaving the addresses untranslated would be that private addresses 
along the source route are exposed end to end.

In any of the IP options, the IP addresses stored are those of the 
intermediate routers,which are mostly registered IP addresses. Moreover we 
assume that NAT functionality is implemented on stub-domain routers.i.e. 
routers connected directly to a LAN without any intermediate router. We use 
NAT to translate the private addresses of the hosts in the private address 
realm. can there be a situation where routers can have private addresses and 
NAT would need to translate them? can anyone give an example of a scenario 
where we would need to translate the IP addresses of the routers stored in 
the IP options?

thanx in advance
regards
Nirmala

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

_______________________________________________
nat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nat