Subject: RE: [NAT] NAT with Windows2000

From: "Tim Dorcey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:45:51 -0700

> Now you're ready to configure additional options for NAT.
...

Ah, it sounds like you might be able to answer a question that is near
and dear to my heart.  If a host in the private address space, behind a
Microsoft NAT product, sends a packet from UDP port X to 2 different
hosts in the public address space, will the NAT forward them both from
the same port on the NAT?  Or, will it use a different public port port
for each (private addr,private port,remote addr,remote port)
combination?

I know that with Linux IP Masquerade it will do the latter by default,
or the former if you activate "LOOSE_UDP" option.  I wish I had an
inventory of all NAT product behavior in this regard.

The reason this is important is well explained in "Short term NAT
requirements for UDP based peer-to-peer applications"
<draft-huitema-natreq4udp-00.txt>.

Tim

_______________________________________________
nat mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nat

---

From: Pyda Srisuresh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:17:49 -0700 (PDT)

> <draft-huitema-natreq4udp-00.txt>.
This is also mentioned in RFC 3022 (Section 3.1), RFC 3027 (section 5.1)
and draft-ietf-nat-app-guide-06.txt, section 3.1.1

> Tim

cheers,
suresh

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/