Subject: [nat66] [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-blake-nptv6-icmp-01.txt]

From: Steven Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:48:53 -0500

Terry Moes and I have submitted this draft (actually version -01) which
describes how NPTv6 translators need to process ICMPv6 error messages.
We believe that this issue was first discovered when Terry built an
NPTv6 implementation for Linux.

We intend to request publication as an individual submission, but first
we would really appreciate your review comments.

Regards,

// Steve

Subject: I-D Action: draft-blake-nptv6-icmp-01.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 19:37:38 -0800
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements only <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ICMP Handling in IPv6-to-IPv6 Network Prefix Translation
	Author(s)       : Steven Blake
                          Terry Moes
	Filename        : draft-blake-nptv6-icmp-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2012-01-28

   NPTv6 is a stateless, transport-agnostic IPv6-to-IPv6 Network Prefix
   Translation function that provides the address-independence benefit
   associated with IPv4-to-IPv4 NAT without some of that mechanism's
   drawbacks.  NPTv6 is intended to be deployed in environments where a
   host might not know its "external" network prefix(es).  In such an
   environment, a NPTv6 device must also translate network prefixes
   present in in-bound and out-bound ICMPv6 error message payloads.
   This document describes the required processing of ICMPv6 error
   messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-blake-nptv6-icmp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-blake-nptv6-icmp-01.txt

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:58:10 -0800

Thanks for forwarding a pointer to that document.

You might also see RFC5508, "NAT Behavioral Requirements for ICMP".  RFC5508 includes a reference to ICMP Extensions (RFC4884) which, while rare in the wild, are probably worth describing so they are handled properly.  Hairpinning of ICMP messages may also be worth pointing out to implementers (so that pinging the 'external' address works, among other things).  It might be worth also pointing out that ICMP echo request/reply doesn't require special handling.  

-d

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Steven Blake
> Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:49 PM
> To: nat66
> Subject: [nat66] [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-blake-nptv6-icmp-01.txt]
>

---

From: Steven Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 00:38:52 -0500

On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 16:58 -0800, Dan Wing wrote:

> You might also see RFC5508, "NAT Behavioral Requirements for ICMP".
> RFC5508 includes a reference to ICMP Extensions (RFC4884) which, while
> rare in the wild, are probably worth describing so they are handled
> properly.  Hairpinning of ICMP messages may also be worth pointing out
> to implementers (so that pinging the 'external' address works, among
> other things).  It might be worth also pointing out that ICMP echo
> request/reply doesn't require special handling.  

Thanks for the pointers Dan.  I was unaware of RFCs 5508 and 4884.  We
will take a look and revise as you suggest.

Regards,

// Steve