Subject: [nbs] setsockopt() is bad.

From: Javier Ubillos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 16:13:44 +0800

Dave.

You spoke during todays bof (and just now at the MPTCP group) about your
previous experience where setsockopt()s where not a great way to go.

What did you end up doing (other than moving the setsockopt()s to the
appendix).

What was the right way to do it then?

// Javier

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 02:03:30 -0800

See rfc3678, that's the rfc for IGMP Dave was referring to.
The type-safe API are explicitly defined such as
getsourcefilter/setsourcefilter as opposed to the generic socket APIs
ioctl/setsockopt.

But i think the main point Dave tried to make is to avoid bothering
with the details of an actual API such as those from rfc3678 initially
in the IETF effort and start defining abstract APIs like the one in 
rfc2743.

Then go to some actual standards organization for concrete APIs like the
austin group (POSIX) present the abstract API there and work with them
towards the concrete API.

> _______________________________________________
> nbs mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nbs