Subject: [ncrg] New complexity document

From: "Michael Behringer (mbehring)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:42:39 +0000

Research group, FYI: 

A new draft has just been drafted about complexity:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-retana-network-complexity-framework-00

Michael

---

From: Rana Sircar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:59:27 +0530

Hi ,

A very thoughtful and nice draft. At the same time, I do get a perception
that it is a subset of - A Framework for Defining Network Complexity
draft-irtf-ncrg-complexity-framework-00.txt .

The continuums are interesting, but seem to restrict itself around Network
& Topology Planing & Design stage. Network Complexity is of importance
during Planing, Design, Integration as well as Operations. Each phase looks
at Network Complexity in a different paradigm and is impacted by it.

Best Regards,
Rana

On 15 March 2013 18:12, Michael Behringer (mbehring) <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> ncrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/ncrg
>

---

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:21:59 -0400

> A very thoughtful and nice draft. At the same time, I do get a
> perception that it is a subset of - A Framework for Defining Network
> Complexity draft-irtf-ncrg-complexity-framework-00.txt . 

Or perhaps a complement... draft-irtf-ncrg-complexity-framework feels a
bit broader, or a bit less definite in what actually needs to be
measured, than draft-retana. I might even argue that the control plane
is where the "complexity that counts" really lies --because this is
where humans interact with the network, and hence where most MTBM (mean
time between mistake) problems arise.

That said -- are there other continuums that are interesting that might
arise in the area of complexity? Perhaps a different draft to discuss
what could be measured in each area?

:-)

Russ