Subject: [Nea] NEA BOF Request

From: "Susan Thomson \(sethomso\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:34:30 -0500

This is a request on behalf of the Network Endpoint Assessment (NEA)
mailing list to have a BOF session at the Spring 2006 IETF in the
Internet area.
 
Below, please find the following:
1. Draft Agenda
2. Proposed WG charter
3. Reference to "problem statement" internet draft
4. Mailing list information
 
The initial problem statement I-D, proposed agenda and charter have been
reviewed on the mailing list. Significant interest has been expressed
and we believe we have rough consensus for making this request.
 
Thank you
Steve Hanna ([email-masked])
Susan Thomson ([email-masked])
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
Network Endpoint Assessment (NEA) BOF Draft Agenda
 
Agenda Bashing (5 minutes)
NEA Problem Statement (45 minutes)
Proposed NEA Charter (45 minutes)
Consensus Check and Volunteering (25 minutes)
 
The goal of the NEA BOF is to confirm rough consensus on the NEA problem
statement, on the importance of forming an IETF Working Group to address
the problems described in that document, and on the proposed charter for
such a Working Group. Further, the NEA BOF will verify that there are
enough participants to make the NEA effort a success.
 
NEA BOF participants are expected to have read the documents listed
below before the BOF meeting. Discussion of these documents before the
BOF meeting is strongly encouraged. It will take place on the
[email-masked] mailing lis
 
Proposed NEA Charter
<See below>
 
Network Endpoint Assessment (NEA) Problem Statement 
draft-thomson-nea-problem-statement-00.txt
 
Mailing List
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea> 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------
Proposed NEA WG Charter
 
Architectures have been implemented in the industry to assess the
software or hardware configuration of endpoint devices for the purposes
of monitoring or enforcing compliance of endpoints to an organization's
policy for access to the network. These architectures are not fully
interoperable since some of the protocols used to implement the
architecture are not standards.
 
The first purpose of the proposed working group is to define
requirements for the protocols needed to ensure interoperability in an
NEA system. The second purpose of the working group is to ensure
standardization of protocols that meet these requirements. In some
cases, these protocols may best be standardized in another working
group. Therefore, the proposed working group will work with the area
directors to determine the best way to complete this standardization
effort (in the proposed working group or in another one).
 
The scope of the initial charter is on the following protocols that
support architectures for network endpoint assessment (as described in
draft-thomson-nea-problem-statement-00.txt):
 
1. IF-PB (posture broker protocol)
2. IF-PTa (EAP method suitable for carrying posture information as well
as supporting authentication)
3. IF-PTb (EAP over IP transport protocol)
4. IF-NAE (Radius attributes for network access enforcement)
 
Other interfaces  that may be included in the charter at a later date
include:
--- IF-PA (posture attribute protocol)
--- IF-SB (Protocol between server broker and posture server. Name of
interface TBD in problem-statement I-D. )
 
Note that the initial scope of the WG targets architectures that use the
EAP/Radius framework for IF-PT (posture transport interface) and IF-NAE
(network access enforcement interface). This does not preclude the
standardization of other posture transport protocols or network
authorization protocols in the future, but this is not part of the
initial charter.
 
Work will be carried out in two phases. In the first phase, the WG will
define requirements for each of the protocols identified in 1) - 4)
above. When the requirements have been defined, this WG will work with
the responsible ADs to identify the appropriate WG for meeting these
requirements.
 
Milestones:
 
June 2006:
* Submit requirements I-D to IETF  including 
--- requirements for IF-PTa (EAP method layer) 
--- requirements for IF-NAE 
 
September 2006:
* Submit revised requirements I-D to IETF that includes above plus:
--- requirements for IF -PTb (EAP over IP transport layer e.g. EAP over
UDP, EAP over TLS)
--- requirements for IF-PB
 
December 2006: 
* Review ongoing work in IETF (e.g. EMU WG, Radext WG, PANA WG, NEA WG)
and work with ADs to identify the WG responsible for accommodating
protocol requirements that are not currently being met.
 
Feb 2007:
* Submit  requirements I-D to IESG for publication as Info RFC
* Revise WG charter to accommodate definition of protocols not covered
in other WGs e.g. IF-PB
* Submit I-D on  protocols to be defined in this WG e.g. IF-PB
specification
 
_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea