Subject: [Nea] Updated WG charter

From: "Susan Thomson \(sethomso\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:38:32 -0500

Below is the proposed WG charter updated with the new protocol names to
be consistent with latest problem statement ID. There are a few
editorial changes as well, otherwise it is the same as submitted with
the BoF request early in February.

If you have further comments on this, please let us know.

Thanks

Steve & Susan

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------

Proposed NEA WG Charter

Architectures have been implemented in the industry to assess the
software or hardware configuration of endpoint devices for the purposes
of monitoring or enforcing compliance of endpoints to an organization's
policy for access to the network. These architectures are not fully
interoperable since some of the protocols used to implement the
architecture are not standards.

The first purpose of the proposed working group is to define
requirements for the protocols needed to ensure interoperability in an
NEA system. The second purpose of the working group is to ensure
standardization of protocols that meet these requirements. In some
cases, these protocols may best be standardized in another working
group. Therefore, the proposed working group will work with the area
directors to determine the best way to complete this standardization
effort (in the proposed working group or in another one).

The initial scope of the WG targets an EAP/RADIUS instantiation of a NEA
architecture. Other instantiations of NEA architectures may be
standardized in the future, but are not part of the initial charter. 

The initial charter includes the following protocols (as described in
draft-thomson-nea-problem-statement-01.txt):

1. Posture Broker protocol (IF-PB)

2. Posture Transport Tunnel protocol (IF-PTT) i.e. EAP tunneling method
suitable for carrying posture information as well as supporting
authentication

3. Posture Transport Carrier protocol (IF-PTC) i.e. EAP over IP carrier
protocol

4. RADIUS attributes for network access enforcement (IF-NAE)

Other protocols that may be included in the charter at a later date
include:

* Posture Attribute protocol (IF-PA)

* Posture Validation Protocol (IF-PV)

Work will be carried out in two phases. In the first phase, the WG will
define requirements for each of the protocols identified in 1) - 4)
above. When the requirements have been defined, this WG will work with
the responsible Area Directors to identify the appropriate WG for
meeting these requirements.

Milestones:

June 2006:

* Submit requirements I-D to IETF including 

--- requirements for IF-PTT (EAP tunneling method) 

--- requirements for IF-NAE 

September 2006:

* Submit revised requirements I-D to IETF that includes above plus:

--- requirements for IF-PB

--- requirements for IF-PTC (EAP over IP carrier protocol e.g. EAP over
UDP, EAP over TLS)

December 2006: 

* Review ongoing work in IETF (e.g. EMU WG, Radext WG, PANA WG, NEA WG)
and work with ADs to identify the WG responsible for accommodating
protocol requirements that are not currently being met.

Feb 2007:

* Submit requirements I-D to IESG for publication as Info RFC

* Revise WG charter to accommodate definition of protocols not covered
in other WGs e.g. IF-PB

* Submit I-D on protocols to be defined in this WG e.g. IF-PB
specification

_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea