Subject: RE: [Nea] Comments regardingdraft-khosravi-nea-requirements-01.txt Part 1

From: "Narayanan, Vidya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:20:43 -0700

> 
>> [#1] In the abstract it says: "NEA provides owners of networks (e.g.
an
>> enterprise offering remote access) a mechanism to learn the
operational
>> state or posture of a system requesting network access and then apply
>> this knowledge to the network admission decision.  Why call out "an
>> enterprise offering remote access"?  Couldn't this capability be used
by
>> enterprise and service (and all) providers alike over wired and
wireless
>> networks?

> It could and should be used by all of the above.  
 
Specific to the above comment, I don't see how everything is the same
for "providers" - as opposed to enterprises, providers don't own and
control the end devices. Providers have the desire to protect their
network, but it can't be done by assessing or remediating end devices
that attach to it, since they don't own those end devices. The end
devices are owned by the customer of that service (either an end user or
an enterprise). 

How many of us want a service provider telling us what applications we
can run on laptops that we purchased? The IETF should be a good place to
take this vote :) 

Vidya

_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea