Subject: [Nea] Last call for "due diligence" attributes for PA-TNC base specification

From: "Paul Sangster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:07:18 -0700

The PA-TNC editors are making a last call for PA-TNC "due diligence"
attributes that you would like to advocate as being required to be
included in the PA-TNC base specification before starting the WGLC
approval process.  At IETF 73, we discussed that separate specifications
could be created in the future to define additional PA-TNC standard
attributes as required so the base specification should do a best effort
to define the initial standard set.  However we wanted to take a final
WG check to see if any of the "due diligence" attributes identified by
Joel Snyder are important to include in the initial PA-TNC base spec
before it progresses.   If you feel strongly that one or more due
diligence attributes should be included in the base specification (and
not in a future attribute specification) please state your reasoning to
the WG alias by Friday Jan 9, 2009 at 5PM PST.
 
BACKGROUND
 
During the NEA WG meeting at IETF 73, we discussed the list of "due
diligence" attributes gathered by Joel Snyder.  As you will recall this
attribute investigation was done to try to identify additional PA
attributes that were commonly used in today's NAC products that were not
currently captured by the PA-TNC specification.
 
Joel performed the analysis by looking at the policies supported by
prevalent NAC products and inferred the attributes required to support
these policies using the NEA protocols.  In order to not be tainted by
the current specification, Joel did not attempt to filter out attributes
already in the PA-TNC specification.  The editor team reviewed the
reported attributes and presented a categorized list of attributes
listing those believed to be already covered and some rationale for why
those not covered were not required in the base specification at this
time.  See the presentation categorization at:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/08nov/slides/nea-0.ppt on slides 19 -
27.  This prompted some discussion at the meeting that we would like to
resolve on the WG alias.
 
Please review the IETF 73 slides and if necessary listen to the audio
recording and read Joel's original e-mail. Notify the WG alias if you
feel strongly that any additional of these attributes are required in
the PA-TNC base specification before it progresses.  
 
Thanks,
 
PA-TNC Editors

_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea