Subject: [Nea] Verifying consensus on mitigating NEA Asokan attack

From: "Susan Thomson (sethomso)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:05:50 -0600

At IETF79, the design team responsible for evaluating counter-
measures to the NEA Asokan attack reported their findings to the 
NEA WG. 

The recommended approach is to use "tls-unique" Channel Binding 
defined in RFC5929 to bind the Posture Transport to the entity(*) 
at the PA layer that is authenticating the posture attributes. 
"tls-unique" is the content of the first Finished message in the 
TLS handshake. The advantage of this proposal over the other 
approaches evaluated is that it works with any ciphersuite, and it 
binds to a specific TLS connection.

There was unanimous consensus at the meeting to adopt this 
proposal.

(*) Referred to as External Measurement Agent (EMA) in the design 
team's report.

The chairs would like to verify this consensus on the mailing 
list. Please review the proposal and respond by Monday, 5pm PT on 
Dec 20. Indicate in your response whether you support the changes. 
If you support the changes, a one word response ("Support") is 
sufficient. If not, please explain your concerns and suggest how 
they could be resolved.

Links to information describing the NEA Asokan attack, the 
analysis done by the design team, and the meeting materials are 
below.

Thanks
Susan
--------------------

NOTE: draft-salowey-nea-asokan-00.txt describes 2 of the three 
proposals evaluated by the design team. The recommended approach 
was developed after the I-D was posted and is described in the 
meeting slides.

IETF79 meeting slides (8-20): http://tools.ietf.org/wg/nea/agenda
IETF79 meeting minutes: http://tools.ietf.org/wg/nea/minutes
Design team report: http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-salowey-nea-
asokan-00.txt
NEA Asokan attack: http://www.ietf.org/mail-
archive/web/nea/current/msg01080.html

---

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:19:42 -0500

Hi,

Support.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
<http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic>

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Susan Thomson (sethomso) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> IETF79 <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/nea/agenda%0AIETF79> meeting minutes:
> http://tools.ietf.org/wg/nea/minutes
> asokan-00.txt<http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-salowey-nea-%0Aasokan-00.txt>
> _______________________________________________
> Nea mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea
>

---

From: Stephen Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:51:58 -0500

I also support the NEA Asokan Design Team's recommendation. Not surprising, since I was on the Design Team!

Thanks,

Steve

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ira McDonald
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:20 PM
To: Susan Thomson (sethomso); Ira McDonald
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Nea] Verifying consensus on mitigating NEA Asokan attack

Hi,

Support.

Cheers,
- Ira

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Susan Thomson (sethomso) <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
At IETF79, the design team responsible for evaluating counter-
measures to the NEA Asokan attack reported their findings to the
NEA WG.

Thanks
Susan
--------------------

IETF79<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/nea/agenda%0AIETF79> meeting minutes: http://tools.ietf.org/wg/nea/minutes

_______________________________________________
Nea mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nea