Subject: [Nea] Protocol Action: 'PT-EAP: Posture Transport (PT) Protocol For EAP Tunnel Methods' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nea-pt-eap-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:58:13 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'PT-EAP: Posture Transport (PT) Protocol For EAP Tunnel Methods'
  (draft-ietf-nea-pt-eap-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Endpoint Assessment Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nea-pt-eap/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies PT-EAP, an Extensible Authentication Protocol
   (EAP) based Posture Transport (PT) protocol designed to be used only
   inside a TLS protected EAP tunnel method.  The document also
   describes the intended applicability of PT-EAP.

Working Group Summary

  In the call for proposals for Posture Transport (PT) specifications, there
  were two submissions for an EAP-based PT: one using an EAP method
  within an EAP tunnel method, and the other using a TLV format within an
  EAP tunnel method. Many discussions were had in the WG on the pros and
  cons of each approach. No consensus could be reached. Hence, the AD of
  the Working Group (Stephen Farrell) made the selection with the
  agreement that the WG would abide by the decision. Stephen selected the
  EAP method approach in a message to the NEA WG dated 24 Aug 2011
  (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nea/current/msg01187.html). The
  WG then adopted the EAP method proposal as a WG document, and
  followed the normal process from there. There is WG consensus to move
  this document forward. 

Document Quality

  There are no known vendor implementations of this particular specification,
  but there are existing implementations of an EAP method which is similar to
  what is currently specified. This document was reviewed by several people
  in the EMU WG, and no objections were raised. 

Personnel

  Susan Thomson is the Document Shepherd. 
  Stephen Farrell is the Area Director. 

RFC Editor Note

- draft-ietf-nea-asokan has been published as RFC 6813
- draft-ietf-nea-pt-tls has been published as RFC 6876