Subject: [Nea] FW: NOMCOM - Critical shortage of nominees for multiple areas

From: Stephen Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 14:37:53 +0000

Folks,

Please take a few minutes to think carefully about who
could be a good candidate for the IESG (the IETF's
technical board). For the health of the IETF, we must
provide a strong candidate pool to the Nominating Committee.

When you have a list of possible candidates, please
submit the list as described at

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ann/nomcom/60602

You don't have to get permission from the people who
you are nominating. Anyone who is nominated will be
sent a query to ask if they are willing to serve.
Even if they cannot do so, they will be honored that
someone thought them worthy of the position. And they
won't know who nominated them.

Thanks,

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of NomCom Chair 2013
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:25 AM
To: IETF Announcement List
Cc: IETF Discuss
Subject: NOMCOM - Critical shortage of nominees for multiple areas

[Catchier Subject line - apologies to those offended by a duplicate]

A critically low number of people have accepted nominations for some of the 
IESG open positions.  There is only one nominee per slot in APP, OPS and TSV, 
only two in INT and RAI.  Many folks have declined nominations.  

While the Nomcom appreciates that support for two years of intense service 
is hard to assure, and while we are aware that there is much support for the 
incumbents who are standing, the IETF should continually be considering
which new talent is available for our leadership, and the Nomcom process 
needs for there to be some review and deliberation. 

Therefore, we urgently request that more nominees come forward.  

DEADLINES
Nominations - October 18 
Questionnaires from nominees - October 25

Not coincidentally, this is a good time to think over and send your comments 
about the current statements of desired expertise of positions - this is part of 
the Nomcom's annual review process as well.  Send them to [email-masked].

Definitive location [*] of the current statements on desired expertise:
      https://datatracker.ietf.org/nomcom/2013/expertise/

Instructions and details on nomination [**]:
      https://datatracker.ietf.org/ann/nomcom/60602/

Thanks, everyone,

Allison for the Nomcom

[*] This year the Nomcom tools were recoded, and also transitioned into the 
datatracker.  Apologies for a number of places where we didn't catch reference 
errors.

[**] Yes, alas, the previous call for nominations used "OAM" instead of "OPS," but 
we have* corrected this (chair's pilot) error where it occurred in the Nomcom 
pages.