Subject: which error-tag?

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:42:31 -0700

Hi,

If the agent does not support the <candidate> config,
but a manager sends a <commit> or <discard-changes> anyway,
which error should be returned? 

(hint: unknown-element or operation-not-supported)

Within an agent 'engine', only the RPC methods that have registered
(within the agent) will be known to the engine.  The operation named 
'commit'
might as well be named 'blahfoobar', from the agent POV.

Therefore unknown-element is going to be returned, even though
operation-not-supported is the intuitive (and originally intended) error 
tag.
Is this okay?

(Same issue applies to <validate>)

thanks,
Andy

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:30:59 +0200 (CEST)

> might as well be named 'blahfoobar', from the agent POV.

I agree so far.  In my code, when the RPC method has no registered
handler, I emit the operation-not-supported error-tag.  You will get
operation-not-supported if you use <blahfoobar. and also if you
e.g. use <validate> and the capability is not supported.

/martin

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:22:38 -0700

> e.g. use <validate> and the capability is not supported.

I just went and changed my code to return operation-not-supported :-(
IMO, because the <commit> operation is in the schema I say I support
by advertising the #netconf-base capability, then it is not unknown.
In fact (for me) a different code point would catch 'commit' not supported
vs. 'blahfoobar' not found in the netconf-base namespace.

Andy