Subject: [Netconf] lock/unlock on candidate

From: "Tomasz Mikolajczyk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:29:06 -0000 (GMT)

The section 8.3.1 in RFC 4741 says:
"The candidate configuration may be shared among multiple sessions."

and the section 8.3.5.2 says:
" When a client fails with outstanding changes to the candidate
configuration, recovery can be difficult.  To facilitate easy recovery,
any outstanding changes are discarded when the lock is released, whether
explicitly with the <unlock> operation or implicitly from session
failure."

Even though candidate may be shared, it's impossible that a session A
prepares a part of candidate configuration, taking advantage of the
locking mechanism, and later releases the lock (no commit) and shares
result's of its work with a session B that may want to complete the
candidate and perform <commit>. According to the RFC, as the result of the
<unlock> operation performed by session A, any outstanding changes must be
discarded when the lock is released. IMO, it's a serious limitation.

Another point, what does it mean "discarded?
1) the state of the <candidate> must be the same as before <lock>
2) resetting the candidate configuration with the content of the running
   configuration (like in <discard-changes> operation)

If the 2nd is true, that means that just only <lock/> and <unlock/>
operations on an empty candidate configuration, cause that after all the
candidate's content magically changes.

Tomasz

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: [email-masked].
Thank You.
Silicon and Software Systems Limited. Registered in Ireland no. 378073.
Registered Office: South County Business Park, Leopardstown, Dublin 18
_______________________________________________
Netconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf