Subject: [Netconf] Question on draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06

From: "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 15:12:32 +0000

Sorry if I miss something, but in draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06 I found:

1.2.  Data Model Driven API

   The RESTCONF protocol operates on a conceptual datastore defined with
   the YANG data modeling language.  The server lists each YANG module
   it supports using the "ietf-yang-library" YANG module, defined in
   [I-D.ietf-netconf-yang-library].  The server MUST implement the
   "ietf-yang-library" module, which SHOULD identify all the YANG
   modules used by the server.

...

3.7.  Schema Resource

   The server can optionally support retrieval of the YANG modules it
   supports, using the "ietf-yang-library" module, defined in
   [I-D.ietf-netconf-yang-library].

...

10.  YANG Module Library

   The "ietf-yang-library" module defined in
   [I-D.ietf-netconf-yang-library] provides information about the YANG
   modules and submodules used by the RESTCONF server.  Implementation
   is mandatory for RESTCONF servers.  All YANG modules and submodules
   used by the server MUST be identified in the YANG module library.

...

10.1.1.  modules/module

   This mandatory list contains one entry for each YANG data model
   module supported by the server.  There MUST be an instance of this
   list for every YANG module that is used by the server.

Is the wording ("optionally") in Section 3.7 correct?

And is the "SHOULD" in Section 1.2 consistent with Section 10./10.1.1.?

Thanks

Michael

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 08:28:38 -0700

> Is the wording ("optionally") in Section 3.7 correct?

I think so.
Listing of the modules is mandatory.
Support for direct retrieval of the YANG files is optional.

> And is the "SHOULD" in Section 1.2 consistent with Section 10./10.1.1.?
no -- good catch

> Michael

Andy

> _______________________________________________
> Netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
>

---

From: "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 15:47:19 +0000

OK, thanks for the clarification. I missed that. To me the wording in 3.7 is a bit cryptic. Using your wording below instead would be much easier to parse.

Michael

From: Andy Bierman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 5:29 PM
To: Scharf, Michael (Michael)
Cc: Netconf
Subject: Re: [Netconf] Question on draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Scharf, Michael (Michael) <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Sorry if I miss something, but in draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-06 I found:

...

3.7.  Schema Resource

...

10.  YANG Module Library

...

10.1.1.  modules/module

I think so.

And is the "SHOULD" in Section 1.2 consistent with Section 10./10.1.1.<http://10.1.1.>?

no -- good catch

Thanks

Michael

Andy

_______________________________________________
Netconf mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf