Subject: [Nethistory] J.R.C. Licklider: A History of the Internet by IEEE Spectrum (April 2019)

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2019 20:31:49 +0700

Dear Nethistory

Recently there was a history on J.R.C. Licklider by Oscar Schwartz, "Untold
History of AI: the DARPA Dreamer Who Aimed at Cyborg", the IEEE Spectrum
April 8th 2019:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/tech-history/dawn-
of-electronics/untold-history-of-ai-darpa-dream-of-cyborg-intelligence

Underlying the technical infrastructure of the Internet in ARPANET time, it
was J.R.C. Licklider's vision on the future of man-machine symbiosis:
it is on his paper "Man-Computer Symbiosis":

http://memex.org/licklider.pdf

Here the paper is accompanied by another one "The Computer as a Device".

The link is suggested by W3C 10th anniversary's "How It All Started:
Pre-W3C Web and Internet Background: 1960 J.C.R. Licklider "Man Computer
Symbiosis"

https://www.w3.org/2004/Talks/w3c10-HowItAllStarted/?n=3

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2019 21:03:28 +0700

Dear Nethistory,

To insert an information related with the Oscar Schwartz's article on
J.C.R. Licklider: the article itself suggested a link to the article "Man-
Computer Symbiosis"

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/medg/people/psz/Licklider.html

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Minggu, 26 Mei 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> menulis:

> Dear Nethistory
>
>
> Recently there was a history on J.R.C. Licklider by Oscar Schwartz,
> "Untold History of AI: the DARPA Dreamer Who Aimed at Cyborg", the IEEE
> Spectrum April 8th 2019:
>
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/tech-history/dawn-of-
> electronics/untold-history-of-ai-darpa-dream-of-cyborg-intelligence
>
>
> Underlying the technical infrastructure of the Internet in ARPANET time,
> it was J.R.C. Licklider's vision on the future of man-machine symbiosis: