Subject: [netlmm] #62: Security considerations section

From: netlmm-tracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:48:42 -0000

#62: Security considerations section
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]     |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                       |      Status:  new                     
 Priority:  major                        |   Milestone:  milestone2              
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-ps  |     Version:  1.0                     
 Keywords:  PS draft                     |  
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Pekka Savola writes:

   5.0 Security Considerations

       Localized mobility management has certain security considerations,
 one of
       which - need for access network to mobile node security - was
 touched on in
       this document. Existing localized mobility management solutions
 increase the
       need for mobile node to access network signaling and provisioning of
 the
       mobile node with credentials without increasing the security beyond
 what is
       available if no localized mobility management solution is used.

 ==> I'm not sure that "without increasing..security" is a good way to
 phrase
 this.  IMHO, if sufficient credentials aren't used in the access network
 (of
 a large size), you just can't deploy NETLMM there as the threats could get
 out of hand.  So, I believe NETLMM needs to define the minimum level of
 security where it can be deployed.  The text above may be read to imply
 that
 if the network doesn't provide enough credentials for safe use... too bad,
 NETLMM can't require more of them because then it would be in conflict
 with
 the problem statement.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/62>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm-tracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:50:17 -0000

#62: Security considerations section
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]     |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                       |      Status:  closed                  
  Priority:  major                        |   Milestone:  milestone2              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-ps  |     Version:  1.0                     
Resolution:  fixed                        |    Keywords:  PS draft                
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * resolution:  => fixed
  * status:  new => closed

Comment:

 Changed the Security Considerations to:

 Localized mobility management has certain security considerations, one of
 which - need for access network to mobile node security - was touched on
 in
 this document. Host-based localized mobility management protocols have all
 the security problems involved with providing a service to a host.
 Network-based localized mobility management requires security among
 network elements equivalent to what is needed for routing information
 security, and security between the host and network equivalent to what is
 needed for network access, but no more. A more complete discussion of the
 security goals for network-based localized mobility management can be
 found in [6].