Subject: [netlmm] #74: Add Goal for Data Plane Configurable Forwarding

From: netlmm-tracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:05:32 -0000

#74: Add Goal for Data Plane Configurable Forwarding
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement                   |      Status:  new                     
 Priority:  major                         |   Milestone:  milestone2              
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  1.0                     
 Keywords:  REQ draft                     |  
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 James Kempf writes:

 I would like to add the following text as a goal to the REQ draft:

 2.11 Configurable Data Plane Forwarding between Mobility Anchor and Access
 Router

 Different network operators may require different types of forwarding
 options between the mobility anchor and the access routers for mobile node
 data plane traffic. An obvious forwarding option that has been used in
 past IETF localized mobility management protocols is IP-IP encapsulation
 for bidirectional tunneling. The tunnel endpoints could be the mobility
 anchor and the access routers. But other options are possible. Some
 network deployments may prefer routing-based solutions. Others may require
 security tunnels using IPsec ESP encapsulation if part of the localized
 mobility management domain runs over a public access network and the
 network operator wants to protect the traffic.

 A goal of the NETLMM protocol is to allow the forwarding between the
 mobility anchor and access routers to be configurable depending on the
 particulars of the network deployment. Configurability is not expected to
 be dynamic as in controlled by the arrival of a mobile node; but rather,
 configuration is expected to be similar in time scale to configuration for
 routing. The NETLMM protocol may designate a default forwarding mechanism.
 It is also possible that additional work may be required to specify the
 interaction betweeen a particular forwarding mechanism and the NETLMM
 protocol, but this work is not in scope of the NETLMM base protocol.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/74>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: "Hui Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:24:58 +0800

I support to add this goal.