Subject: Re: [netlmm] #66: Quantify handover performance delay

From: netlmm-tracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 06:55:26 -0000

#66: Quantify handover performance delay
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                        |      Status:  assigned                
  Priority:  major                         |   Milestone:  milestone2              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  1.0                     
Resolution:                                |    Keywords:  REQ draft               
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 This is very difficult to quantify because it depends on the amount of
 congestion on the wireless link, the actual latency of the wireless link
 itself, and various other factors. From the application side, there is an
 underlying requirement for a ballpark figure of 40 -70 ms overall handover
 delay (that is both L2 and IP) in order for VoIP users to avoid any major
 preceptable degradation in their calls.

 Recommendation: Mention the VoIP overall delay maximum but don't try to
 break it down.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/66>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm-tracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 06:52:09 -0000

#66: Quantify handover performance delay
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                        |      Status:  new                     
 Priority:  major                         |   Milestone:  milestone2              
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  1.0                     
 Keywords:  REQ draft                     |  
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 2) section 2.1 discusses handover performance improvement, but also
      mentions ".. and the delay required for active IP layer movement
 detection".
      I think it would be very useful to try to put at least a ballpark
 figure
      of additional delays here.  Are we talking about 50, 500 or 5000
      milliseconds?  How does that vary depending on whether DNA (or which
      part of DNA) is implemented?

---

From: netlmm-tracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:04:04 -0000

#66: Quantify handover performance delay
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                        |      Status:  closed                  
  Priority:  minor                         |   Milestone:  milestone2              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  1.0                     
Resolution:  fixed                         |    Keywords:  REQ draft               
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * priority:  major => minor
  * resolution:  => fixed
  * status:  assigned => closed

Comment:

 Fixed.