Subject: [netlmm] Finishing Up the PS Draft

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:36:21 -0700

Folks,

Yesterday was the announced conclusion date for discussion on the PS draft.

There were two issues that still had some outstanding discussion last week:

Issue #55: Define scalability more precisely
Issue #58: IGP Solutions not accurate

After looking at the email, the WG opinion seemed to fall out as follows:

Issue #55: No concensus for adding a quantitative limit on scalability. Some
people thought it was an implementation issue. An issue with possible
scalability limits involving DHCP in IPv4 was raised, but since the WG is
not yet chartered for IPv4 work, consideration needs to be deferred until
IPv4 work is chartered.

Issue #58: While the Cisco web page gives a more detailed description of how
to do IGP-based mobility management than the IP Unplugged document, the age
of the Web page (more than 10 years old) suggests that it may have been
offered as a solution prior to the widespread deployment of DHCP, when IPv4
addresses were statically configured. Nowadays, if an enterprise has nomadic
clients, the cients typically would reaquire a new DHCP-assigned address
when moving to a new subnet. If the clients are truely mobile and need
session continuity, then the proprietary WLAN IP mobility solutions, which
are discussed under Solution 2 in the PS draft, would be used. Since the
described IGP-based mobility management solution does not seem to be widely
deployed, it makes sense to remove it from the PS and REQ drafts. Most
enterprises that want IP mobility today deploy one of the proprietary WLAN
IP mobility solutions.

Today, I'll be working on closing these issues and finishing up the text. I
intend to submit the draft to the Secretariat today, but I will also post
the drafts to my Geocities Web site, in order that people can get started
reviewing them. Hopefully, the Secretariat will be prompter about posting
the drafts this time than last.

            jak

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm