Subject: [netlmm] #75: Add goal for network-based load balancing

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:50:26 -0000

#75: Add goal for network-based load balancing
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                        |      Status:  new                     
 Priority:  major                         |   Milestone:  milestone2              
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  1.0                     
 Keywords:  REQ draft                     |  
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Eric Njedjou writes:

 Generally the network provider would like to load balance between
 different wireless systems. In GSM and UMTS, the network has the ability
 to decide at every moment whether to move certain users between systems.

 I see no requirement in this Draft that enable the provider network to
 indicate to its MAP that the path to reach an MN has to be changed from
 one AR to another. Effectively, from reading the solutions drafts that
 already exist, it looks to me to NETLMM does not address the possibility
 that it is not the MN that indicates that it has moved. MN may not
 necessarily move because it has found a new AR.

 Couple deployments models could be such that in the same area , thereis
 AP1 that is connected to AR1 and AP2 (overlapping the coverage of AP1)
 that is connected to AR2, and that for load-balancing purposes, the
 operator want to swicth the MN from AP1 to AP2. If i rely on the solutions
 space that is being discussed  there is no possibility that the MAP decide
 to change the path for the MN on its own, which may be desirable. It looks
 like only the mobile will eventually be able to initiate the mobility.

 Therefore a "network initiation" goal has to be added in order to take
 into account the requirement that the network can run NETLMM but also
 initiate the transition process on others criteria than just the fact the
 MN has moved into the reachability space of router AR2 (ND, DNA or other
 procedures have run successfully).

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/75>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:51:58 -0000

#75: Add goal for network-based load balancing
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                        |      Status:  new                     
  Priority:  major                         |   Milestone:  milestone2              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  1.0                     
Resolution:                                |    Keywords:  REQ draft               
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Eric suggests phrasing the goal as:

 In mobility management protocols, MN movements between points of
 attachment are generally caused by the MN going out of the reach of its
 current radio/IP attachment (lost of signal, NUD test failed...) . While
 this is the most frequent cause of movements, NETLMM should also allow for
 transitions between ARs that are guided by reasons such as the need of the
 operator to load-balance between the radio points of attachments.

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:43:30 -0000

#75: Add goal for network-based load balancing
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                        |      Status:  closed                  
  Priority:  major                         |   Milestone:  milestone2              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  1.0                     
Resolution:  wontfix                       |    Keywords:  REQ draft               
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * resolution:  => wontfix
  * status:  new => closed

Comment:

 Load balancing between wireless cells is traditionally done in radio
 access networks by the Radio Recource Management (RRM) function. This is
 always a radio-link technology specific function. IEEE 802.21 and the
 MIPSHOP WG are currently attempting to come up with protocols to allow
 inter-technology load balancing between wireless technologies. Load
 balancing in the wired network is typically done using traffic management,
 thorough the use of MPLS and RSVP-T, or other routing protocols.

 Both of these seem fairly orthogonal to the basic function of NETLMM,
 though, at some point after the base NETLMM protocol is complete, it may
 be worthwhile to examine the interaction with NETLMM.

 Recommedation is to not add this goal, since the basis of the requested
 functionality is covered by other WGs or other IETF protocols.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/75>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>