Subject: [netlmm] Handover Initiation and support of heterogeneous links

From: "NJEDJOU Eric RD-RESA-REN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 17:55:08 +0200

Hi,

Below are 2 comments on the goals draft 

1) Generally the network provider would like to load balance between
different wireless systems. In GSM and UMTS, the network has the ability
to decide at every moment whether to move certain users between systems.

I see no requirement in this Draft that enable the provider network to
indicate to its MAP that the path to reach an MN has to be changed from
one AR to another. Effectively, from reading the solutions drafts that
already exist, it looks to me to NETLMM does not address the possibility
that it is not the MN that indicates that it has moved. MN may not
necessarily move because it has found a new AR. 

Couple deployments models could be such that in the same area , thereis
AP1 that is connected to AR1 and AP2 (overlapping the coverage of AP1)
that is connected to AR2, and that for load-balancing purposes, the
operator want to swicth the MN from AP1 to AP2. If i rely on the
solutions space that is being discussed  there is no possibility that
the MAP decide to change the path for the MN on its own, which may be
desirable. It looks like only the mobile will eventually be able to
initiate the mobility.

Therefore a "network initiation" goal has to be added in order to take
into account the requirement that the network can run NETLMM but also
initiate the transition process on others criteria than just the fact
the MN has moved into the reachability space of router AR2 (ND, DNA or
other procedures have run successfully). 

suggestion for the network initiation goal:

In mobility management protocols, MN movements between points of
attachment are generally caused by the MN going out of the reach of its
current radio/IP attachment (lost of signal, NUD test failed...) . While
this is the most frequent cause of movements, NETLMM should also allow
for transitions between ARs that are guided by reasons such as the need
of the operator to load-balance between the radio points of attachments.

 2) The " support for heterogeneous wireless link technologies" goal is
not clear . Having read the paragraph twice, i am still not able to
understand what the exact goal is. 

E Njedjou

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm