Subject: [netlmm] Re: IPv6 addressing model, per-MN subnet prefix, and broadcast domain

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:46:27 -0700

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
To: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>; "Julien Laganier" 
<[email-masked]>; "INT Area" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "NetLMM WG" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 1:39 PM
Subject: RE: IPv6 addressing model, per-MN subnet prefix, and broadcast 
domain

> -----Original Message-----
> From: James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 1:26 PM
> To: Dave Thaler; Julien Laganier; INT Area
> Cc: NetLMM WG
> Subject: Re: IPv6 addressing model, per-MN subnet prefix, and
broadcast
> domain
>
> Dave,
>
> RFC 1812 Section 2.2.5.1 defines the case where multiple subnets are
> associated with a single interface of a router thusly:
>
>    "The inventors of the subnet mechanism presumed that each piece of
an
>    organization's network would have only a single subnet number.  In
>    practice, it has often proven necessary or useful to have several
>    subnets share a single physical cable.

Yes the last sentence above is what we mean by multiple subnets on a
single link.

>    For this reason, routers
>    should be capable of configuring multiple subnets on the same
>    physical interfaces, and treat them (from a routing or forwarding
>    perspective) as though they were distinct physical interfaces."

The "treat them as though they were distinct interfaces" is just one way
to implement multiple subnets on a single link, but it is not the only
way or necessarily even the recommended way.  The sentence is just
saying it should be a configurable option to be able to do it that way.

jak>> The other options being, what? I think it might be useful to enumerate 
them so that we can get an idea of what historical precedent is here.

jak>> One other option is I think PPP, which Bernard has already mentioned, 
with PPPoE being the choice for Ethernet links. Are there any others 
(anybody else know)?

            jak

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm