Subject: [netlmm] #112: Rethink Threats Structuring

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 06:54:35 -0000

#112: Rethink Threats Structuring
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]           |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement                |      Status:  new             
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:  milestone1      
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-threats  |     Version:  2.0             
 Keywords:                             |  
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Lakshminath Dondeti:

  ''Currently the threats document talks about attacks on interfaces
  between the LMA and the MAG and the MAG and the MN, and then talks
  about on or off-path attacks.  My suggestion is to follow the
  approach outlines in issues 1-3 below.''

  ''Issue 1:  Discuss what needs to be protected.
  Issue 2: List who the actors are and what they are supposed to do.
  Issue 3: Describe potential attackers''

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/112>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 06:54:45 -0000

#112: Rethink Threats Structuring
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]           |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  enhancement                |      Status:  assigned        
  Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:  milestone1      
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-threats  |     Version:  2.0             
Resolution:                             |    Keywords:                  
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * status:  new => assigned

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:30:08 -0000

#112: Rethink Threats Structuring
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]           |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  enhancement                |      Status:  closed          
  Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:  milestone1      
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-threats  |     Version:  2.0             
Resolution:  fixed                      |    Keywords:                  
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * resolution:  => fixed
  * status:  assigned => closed

Comment:

 The structure of revision 03 of draft-ietf-netlmm-threats has changed
 compared to revision 02 in a couple of aspects:

  * Section 1 includes a better description of NETLMM actors.
  * Section 1 includes an overview of potential attacks and attack
 objectives.
  * MN identifier is now already introduced in section 1 as part of the
 architectural nutshell description.  The security requirements of the MN
 identifier are explained in the introductory text of section 3.
  * New section 4, "Threats from the Internet", to which the analysis of
 the impact of a DoS attack from an external attacker has been moved.

 Regarding the overall document structure:  The structure of the document
 underwent some heavy changes already in its very early stages, in
 particular when it was still draft-kempf-...  It was eventually found that
 the threats can best be structured according to the interface in the
 NETLMM architecture.  Along this line is the addition of the new section
 3, "Threats from the Internet", which came with revision 03 of the WG
 document.  I'm therefore in favor of leaving the structuring as it is in
 the new revision 03, including the changes made from revision 02.