Subject: [netlmm] #108: Spurious Route Setups

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:29:37 -0000

#108: Spurious Route Setups
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]           |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  task                       |      Status:  new             
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:                  
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-threats  |     Version:  2.0             
 Keywords:  route setup                |  
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Andy Huang identifies two additional DoS threats:

 ''A malicious MN may trigger MAG to initiate NetLMM protocol by  tricking
 MAG into believing that a large number of MNs have attached to MAG.  A
 compromised MAG can attack LMA much easier than MN by tricking LMA into
 believing that MNs have attached to MAG. LMA and MAG will have to
 establish
 route entries for these nonexistent MNs. It can lead to a kind of DoS
 attack. However, it is not mentioned in the draft.''

 One DoS is initiated by malicous MN, the other by malicious MAG.

 Effect of both attacks:
 - signaling load within the NETLMM access network
 - memory exhaustion (due to fake routing table entries) on the MAG and LMA

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/108>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:53:01 -0000

#108: Spurious Route Setups
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]           |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  task                       |      Status:  assigned        
  Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:                  
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-threats  |     Version:  2.0             
Resolution:                             |    Keywords:  route setup     
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 Follow-up by Christian Vogt:

 ''There is actually a 3rd version of this DoS attack:  The LMA, too, may
 be able to initiate spurious route setups.''

 ''It is up to the NETLMM protocol whether or not the LMA is enabled to
 initiate route setups.  But since the Threats draft should not depend on
 specifics of the NETLMM protocol, this 3rd DoS version should be
 included in the Threats draft as well.''

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:01:51 -0000

#108: Spurious Route Setups
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]           |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  task                       |      Status:  closed          
  Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:                  
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-threats  |     Version:  2.0             
Resolution:  fixed                      |    Keywords:  route setup     
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * resolution:  => fixed
  * status:  assigned => closed

Comment:

 The threat is now identified in sections 2.2 and 3.1 of draft-ietf-netlmm-
 threats-03