Subject: [netlmm] #131: Duplicated functionality with CAPWAP?

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:48:49 -0000

#131: Duplicated functionality with CAPWAP?
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                        |      Status:  new                     
 Priority:  trivial                       |   Milestone:  milestone4              
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  2.0                     
 Keywords:  REQ draft                     |  
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Eric Rescorla says:

 > S 1.0.
 >
 >     In [9], the basic problems that occur when a global mobility
 >     protocol is used for managing local mobility are described, and two
 >     basic approaches to localized mobility management - the host-based
 >     approach that is used by most IETF protocols, and the proprietary
 >     WLAN switch approach used between WLAN switches in different
 >     subnets - are examined. The conclusion from the problem statement
 >     document is that none of the approaches has a complete solution to
 >     the problem. While the WLAN switch approach is most convenient for
 >     network operators and users because it requires no software on the
 >     mobile  node  other  than  the  standard  drivers  for  WiFi,  the
 >     proprietary nature limits interoperability and the restriction to a
 >
 > Isn't CAPWAP designed to solve the proprietary issue?
 >

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/131>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:49:32 -0000

#131: Duplicated functionality with CAPWAP?
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                        |      Status:  closed                  
  Priority:  trivial                       |   Milestone:  milestone4              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  2.0                     
Resolution:  invalid                       |    Keywords:  REQ draft               
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * resolution:  => invalid
  * status:  new => closed

Comment:

 CAPWAP doesn't provide IP mobility management. It provides radio resource
 management and load balancing. These are specifically radio access network
 issues, and don't impact IP packet routing at the subnet level. There is
 some mobility management in CAPWAP between APs, but it is not meant to
 scale
 to multiple wired edge links, like NETLMM is.