Subject: [netlmm] #139: Motivate the goal to reduce signaling

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:38:37 -0000

#139: Motivate the goal to reduce signaling
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                        |      Status:  new                     
 Priority:  minor                         |   Milestone:  milestone4              
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  2.0                     
 Keywords:  REQ draft                     |  
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Sam Hartman (Security AD) filed the following DISCUSS comment:

 Several of the goals talk about reducing signaling.  I think these
 goals are misguided.  Reducing signaling in and of itself is nice to
 have, but it seems like extensibility, security and modularity are
 higher priorities than reducing signaling for its own sake.  However
 the signaling today is presumably causing real problems--presumably
 related to latency and other things.  Please actually describe these
 problems as the goal and describe reducing signaling as the solution
 or a derived goal.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/139>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:57:07 -0000

#139: Motivate the goal to reduce signaling
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                        |      Status:  closed                  
  Priority:  minor                         |   Milestone:  milestone4              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  2.0                     
Resolution:  fixed                         |    Keywords:  REQ draft               
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * resolution:  => fixed
  * status:  new => closed

Comment:

 The signaling reduction goal has been consolidated into Goal #2 in
 response to comments from EKR and Lars Eggert.

 Added the following paragraph after paragraph 1 in Section 3.2, to
 motivate reduction of excessive signaling:

 The signaling required has a large impact on the performance of handover,
 impacting Goal #1. Perhaps more importantly, the aggregate impact from
 many mobile nodes of such signaling on expensive shared links (such as
 wireless where the capacity of the link cannot easily be expanded) can
 result in reduced last hop link capacity for data traffic. In links where
 the end user is charged for IP traffic, IP signaling is not without cost.