Subject: [netlmm] #133: Goal #4 is redundant with Goal #5 & #2

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:59:39 -0000

#133: Goal #4 is redundant with Goal #5 & #2
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                        |      Status:  new                     
 Priority:  major                         |   Milestone:  milestone4              
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  2.0                     
 Keywords:  REQ draft                     |  
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Eric Rescorla says:

 >
 > S 2.4.
 > It seems to that you're conflating two issues: additional signalling
 > on the air interface and packet expansion on the air interface.
 > I agree that packet expansion is an issue, but I don't see how this
 > section shows that ANY additional signalling on the air interface
 > is a requirement (but that's that the reqt says).
 >

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/133>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:05:33 -0000

#133: Goal #4 is redundant with Goal #5 & #2
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]      |       Owner:  [email-masked]
      Type:  defect                        |      Status:  closed                  
  Priority:  major                         |   Milestone:  milestone4              
 Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-nohost-req  |     Version:  2.0                     
Resolution:  fixed                         |    Keywords:  REQ draft               
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * resolution:  => fixed
  * status:  new => closed

Comment:

 Goal #2 primarily involves reduction of
 signaling, yet this section seems to be saying that too in the first
 paragraph. Goal #5 is about efficient use of network resources, but that
 also appears to be the point of this goal, particularly the second
 paragraph about packet expansion on the air  interface.

 I've removed this goal and modified Goal #5 to include both wired and
 wireless network resource utilization. Text for Goal #5 (now #4 due to
 renumbering) is below.

 ---------------------------
 3.4     Limit Overhead in the Network (Goal #4)

 Access networks, including both the wired and wireless parts, tend to have
 somewhat stronger bandwidth and router processing constraints than the
 backbone. In the wired part of the network, these constraints are a
 function of the cost of laying fiber or wiring to the wireless access
 points in a widely dispersed geographic area. In the wireless part of the
 network, these constraints are due to the limitation on the number of bits
 per Hertz imposed by the physical layer protocol. Therefore, any solutions
 for localized mobility management should minimize overhead within the
 access network.