Subject: [netlmm] Multi-Link Subnet Support in RFC 2461?

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:02:17 +0200

>From RFC 2461bis, section 4.6.2. ("Prefix Information"):

      L   1-bit on-link flag.  When set, indicates that this
          prefix can be used for on-link determination.  When
          not set the advertisement makes no statement about
          on-link or off-link properties of the prefix.  For
          instance, the prefix might be used for address
          configuration with some of the addresses belonging
          to the prefix being on-link and others being off-
          link.

The vague explanation of the meaning of 'L'=0 seems to indicate a
potential use for multi-link subnets---especially the last sentence.

Maybe a bit inappropriate given the recent discussions on multi-link
subnets...

- Christian

-- 
Christian Vogt, Institute of Telematics, Universitaet Karlsruhe (TH)
www.tm.uka.de/~chvogt/pubkey/

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 08:31:05 -0700

> potential use for multi-link subnets---especially the last sentence.

At least two responders to the thread you are referring to
indicated that 'L'=0 is interpreted correctly by BSDs, and
one responder indicated his belief is that the L bit is
widely interpreted as done by BSDs:  

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg06759.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg06763.html

My experience with Linux is that L bit interpretation is
also the same as for BSDs.

Fred
[email-masked]