Subject: Re: How does "per-MN prefix model" simplify things? (was: RE:[netlmm]Re: PMIP follow-up questions)

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 15:43:21 +0100

Sri Gundavelli wrote:
[...]
> Ok. What is the required DHCP server configuration for supporting 
> /128 bit lengths.
> 
> a.) Will there be that many prefixes or DHCP pools  (/128) as that 
> many nodes ?

Yes, there are many /128 addresses possible within a single /64 prefix.

> Is it possible to manage, by just creating one large DHCP pool ?

I think yes.  It is important to relate each home address to the MAC
address.

> If so, will the relay agent set the giaddr field to the MN's address?
> 
> 
You mean MN's MAC address?

> ? When I look at the potential size of the network, where this gets 
> deployed, the number of mobiles will be in the order of 500,000. So, 
> I'm not sure what is the DHCP address pool configuration. A /128 pool
> configuration appears too much of provisioning.

If one wants to give a permanent IP address to a mobile then one has to
have a way to identify each of those 500.000 nodes and then find the IP
address corresponding to it, and deliver it to MN.

A /128 pool would be a set of /128 addresses, and there could be 500.000 
of them.

The DHCP spec issue would be to make sure Server can allocate a /128
that is not necessarily part of a Relay's prefix.

Ok, I'll stop here.  Let's see.

Alex

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm