Subject: [netlmm] #147: Threats Document Lacks Higher-Level Attack Objectives

From: netlmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:55:31 -0000

#147: Threats Document Lacks Higher-Level Attack Objectives
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]           |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement                |      Status:  new             
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:  milestone1      
Component:  draft-ietf-netlmm-threats  |     Version:                  
 Keywords:  attack objectives          |  
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 The NETLMM Security Threats document currently lacks a statement about the
 higher-level objectives that an attacker may have when pursuing one of the
 attacks described in the document.  Charles Clancy raised this issue after
 a review of the document:

  ''Overall, I think the draft provides an exhaustive list of possible
 security threats at every link in the chain.''

  ''My biggest complaint with security analysis drafts of this nature is
 that they don't put the threats into context of actual attacker goals. In
 general, attackers don't want to inject traffic into some secured link for
 the sake of doing it.  They do it because it facilitates some larger goal,
 to include theft of network access, denial of access to others, or
 compromise of confidential data.  Perhaps it's just a matter of
 organization.  But, I think it would be useful to add a description of
 some of these higher-level attacker goals, and how all the already-
 described, very specific attacks can facilitate these larger attacker
 goals.''

 We agreed with Charles to add suitable text to the introduction of the
 document.  Putting the text at this central place seems most appropriate
 given that different attack strategies may serve the same higher-level
 objectives.

 Here is the suggested new text, which is to replace the last paragraph in
 the current version 04 of the document:

  OLD TEXT:
    Vulnerabilities in either interface of the localized mobility
    management architecture may entail new security threats which go
    beyond those that already exist in IPv6.  This document identifies
    and discusses security threats on both interfaces of the localized
    mobility management architecture.  It is limited to threats which are
    peculiar to localized mobility management; threats to IPv6 in general
    are documented in [4].

  NEW TEXT:
    Vulnerabilities in either interface of the localized mobility
    management architecture may entail new security threats which go
    beyond those that already exist in IPv6.  Potential attack objectives
    may be to consume network services at the cost of a legitimate mobile
    node, interpose in a mobile node's communications and possibly
    impersonate the mobile node from a position off link, operate under
    the disguise of a false or non-existing identity, or cause denial of
    service to a mobile node or to the localized mobility management
    domain as a whole.  This document identifies and discusses security
    threats on both interfaces of the localized mobility management
    architecture.  It is limited to threats which are peculiar to
    localized mobility management; threats to IPv6 in general are
    documented in [4].

 We will try and arrange with the RFC Editor to get these changes into the
 document without publishing another draft version.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://www1.tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/trac/ticket/147>
netlmm <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/>
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm