Subject: [netlmm] About the mip type of a MS

From: "john.zhao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 00:17:32 -0800

Hello all

   DHCP or PPP or any others is used to help the network to distinguish if a MS need the proxy mip capability.But to a MS, why network think it need to be provided with PMIP support? Only to simple IP or also include mobile IP?So why we can only treat a MS sending DHCP discover message as simple IP terminal or a MS need to be provided with PMIP support?

   Best Rgds
Thanks,

                                                                                 John.zhao
                                                                                 2007-02-26
_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:45:10 -0800 (PST)

Currently, this comes from the policy associated with that
mobile.

- After the access authentication of the mobile node, if the
   network determines the mobile node is entitled for proxy
   mobile IPv6 service, based on the policy on the network,
   the network will ensure the mobile node will see its home
   prefix on that link and using any of the address configuration
   mechanisms, the mobile will end up with an address from its home
   prefix.

- If the network determines the mobile node is not entitled
   for proxy mobile IPv6 service, based on the policy present
   at the network, the network will ensure the mobile sees a
   normal access link, with the projected prefixes having a
   topological association with that specific link. The network
   will ensure, the mobile using any of the address configuration
   mehcanisms will be able obtain an address that is from the local
   prefix and not an address that the mobile can use for roaming
   in the network.

So, since the protocol adopts a network driven approach, this logic
is present in the network as when to offer the Proxy Mobile IPv6
service. It is important to note that the decision from the network
to provide local mobility will not impact the mobile's capability
to establish global mobility, the PMIP-HoA = MIP6-CoA. But, for
what ever reasons, if choice is to be given for the mobile as to
seek local mobility on selective basis, some ND extensions can be
defined in the future for building a capability exchange between
the network and the mobile. We leave this work to future protocol
extensions.

Sri

---

From: "john.zhao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:39:13 -0800

Hello Sri

        Yes. The network policy or MS profile can be used
as the judgement to decide if need to do the  proxy MIP
for this MS.But it is not enough.
        PMIP can be used with MIP as you have mentioned.
But it can also be used concurrently with  MIP,just as
curennt situation in 3GPP2 or wimax  etc.
        So we  can't assume that if network have the ability
to provide proxy MIP, then the MS will become a PMIP
MS.
        We can use some method to interactive about it ,
PPP,DHCP,ND etc.
        Currently, PPP has  the option to indicate the mobile
capability of a MS. But others didn't have.
        So , if we can use current definition in others and expend
some relevent to achieve this goal.
        After all, I think as a mechanism, we need this to be specified
in current stage.

                                            John.zhao
                                            2007-02-26

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sri Gundavelli" <[email-masked]>
To: "john.zhao" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [netlmm] About the mip type of a MS

> >   DHCP or PPP or any others is used to help the network to distinguish
if a MS need the proxy mip capability.But to a MS, why network think it need
to be provided with PMIP support? Only to simple IP or also include mobile
IP?So why we can only treat a MS sending DHCP discover message as simple IP
terminal or a MS need to be provided with PMIP support?
John.zhao
2007-02-26